Hanoi Ancient House
Typical of the traditional architecture of the time in the Old Quarter, the Ancient House is what’s known as a “tube-house,” with a narrow facade and a series of buildings and courtyards. There are two stories: The ground floor features a street-front room, which was used for selling goods, as well as the kitchen and bathroom, while the living quarters were located on the upper floor, which also has a balcony. Don’t miss the antique furnishings, artifacts, and photographs throughout the house.
Explore independently or as part of a guided tour and take in other area highlights, including Hoan Kiem Lake, Ngoc Son Temple, and the Museum of History.
Things to Know Before You Go
There is an admission fee to enter the Ancient House.
Be careful of the high steps between rooms.
Expect to spend less than 30 minutes here.
The on-site gift shop sells maps, crafts, trinkets, and artwork.
How to Get There
The Ancient House is located in the Hanoi Old Quarter, about a 10-minute walk from Hoan Kiem Lake. Taxis are an easy way to get there for those coming from farther afield.
When to Get There
The Ancient House is open daily, with a break for lunch. At night, it often becomes a venue for ca tru song and other performances by students from local schools. The house also hosts a number of folk performances during the Mid Autumn Festival.
There are a number of popular attractions near the Ancient House. Don’t miss Hoan Kiem Lake, where you can find Ngoc Son Temple and Turtle Tower. Also nearby are Bach Ma Temple and Dong Xuan Market.
- Things to do in Northern Vietnam
- Things to do in Halong Bay
- Things to do in Nanning
- Things to do in Luang Prabang
- Things to do in Vientiane
- Things to do in Sanya
- Things to do in Kunming
- Things to do in Hue
- Things to do in Da Nang
- Things to do in Guiyang
- Things to do in My Son
- Things to do in Yangshuo
- Things to do in Chiang Rai
- Things to do in Guangxi
- Things to do in Southern China
- Hanoi Old Quarter
- Thang Long Water Puppet Theatre
- Temple of the Jade Mountain (Ngoc Son Temple)
- Dong Xuan Market
- Lake of the Restored Sword (Hoan Kiem Lake)
- Long Bien Bridge (Cau Long Bien)
- St Joseph’s Cathedral (Nha Tho Lon)
- Vietnam Museum of Revolution
- Hanoi Opera House (Nha Hat Lon)
- Hoa Lo Prison
- Vietnamese Women’s Museum
- Vietnam National Museum of History
- Vietnam Military History Museum
- Ambassador’s Pagoda (Chua Quan Su)
- Hanoi Cooking Centre (HCC)