Bat Trang Ceramic
Visit Bat Trang Ceramic Village to see artisans in action, try your hand at making ceramics, and purchase direct from the artisans. It’s possible to visit the village independently, but many choose to visit as part of a half-day or full-day sightseeing tour. Travel by bicycle, motorbike, or motor vehicle. Full-day tours usually include a visit to another handicraft village, such as Van Phuc Silk Village, or popular Hanoi attractions such as the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum or Hoan Kiem Lake. Or opt for a private tour to fully customize your itinerary.
Things to Know Before You Go
Bat Trang Ceramic Village is ideal for souvenir shoppers and those with an interest in traditional handicrafts.
There is no fee to enter Bat Trang Ceramic Village, but pottery-making workshops charge a fee to make ceramics and another fee to finish and take them away.
Food and snacks are available for purchase in the village.
How to Get There
Bat Trang Ceramic Village is located in the Gia Lam District, about 8 miles (13 kilometers) from Hanoi, across the Chuong Duong Bridge and along the bank of the Red River. For those not visiting as part of a tour, it’s easiest to take a taxi or motorbike taxi (xe om). It is also accessible via the number 47 bus.
When to Get There
Bat Trang Ceramic Village is open daily, year-round. Visitors who plan to make and take away their own ceramics should leave enough time to dry and decorate them. Those planning to visit other handicraft villages nearby should allot most of the day to Bat Trang.
There are several handicraft villages around Hanoi. In addition to Bat Trang Ceramic Village, handicraft villages include Van Phuc Silk Village, Dong Sy Forging Village, Dong Son Wicker Village, and Dong Ky Wood Carving Village.
- Things to do in Northern Vietnam
- Things to do in Halong Bay
- Things to do in Nanning
- Things to do in Luang Prabang
- Things to do in Vientiane
- Things to do in Sanya
- Things to do in Kunming
- Things to do in Hue
- Things to do in Da Nang
- Things to do in Guiyang
- Things to do in My Son
- Things to do in Yangshuo
- Things to do in Chiang Rai
- Things to do in Guangxi
- Things to do in Southern China
- Vietnam National Museum of History
- Phu Tay Ho
- Hanoi Opera House (Nha Hat Lon)
- Vietnam Museum of Revolution
- Vietnamese Women’s Museum
- Lake of the Restored Sword (Hoan Kiem Lake)
- Temple of the Jade Mountain (Ngoc Son Temple)
- Thang Long Water Puppet Theatre
- Hoa Lo Prison
- St Joseph’s Cathedral (Nha Tho Lon)
- Ambassador’s Pagoda (Chua Quan Su)
- Hanoi Old Quarter
- Hanoi Ancient House
- Dong Xuan Market
- Long Bien Bridge (Cau Long Bien)