Cours Saleya Flower Market (Marché aux Fleurs Cours Saleya)
A colorful twist on the classic French market, the Cours Saleya Flower Market (Marche aux Fleurs Cours Saleya) is in many ways the heart of everyday life in Nice. The market is split between its famous flower market selling bucketfuls of blooms on the western side and a food market brimming with spices, produce, pastries, and more on the eastern side.
Take it all in on a leisurely stroll, stopping to people-watch from one of the cafes and restaurants lining the edges, or join a Nice sightseeing tour or food tour for the benefit of the information provided by a local guide.
Things to Know Before You Go
Dress for the weather, with plenty of sun protection in summer.
Bring cash, as most vendors do not accept credit cards.
Expect large crowds during summer.
How to Get There
Right in the heart of Nice's Old Town (Vieux Nice) and only one street back from the Quai des Etats-Unis on the Promenade des Anglais, the Cours Saleya is impossible to miss during any stroll through the historic district. Though the area is mostly closed off to cars—making for a pleasant pedestrian experience—it can be accessed on the T1 line of the tram, with the closest stop at Opéra Vieille Ville.
When to Get There
Visit between 6am and 5:30pm to see the market at its finest. Early morning visits let travelers see the vendors setting up before the crowds arrive, while visitors in the evening will find the market plaza transformed into an outdoor dining area where farm-to-table food is the standard. The market is replaced by an antiques market on Mondays and is closed Sunday afternoons and public holidays.
Though outdoor markets take place in just about every town on the French Riviera, France's National Council for the Culinary Arts ranks the Cours Saleya Market as one of the best in the country—this says a lot in a destination so famous for its food!
- Things to do in French Riviera
- Things to do in Monte-Carlo
- Things to do in Cannes
- Things to do in Toulon
- Things to do in Langhe-Roero and Monferrato
- Things to do in Aix-en-Provence
- Things to do in Genoa
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Marignane
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Piedmont & Liguria
- Things to do in Provence
- Quai des États-Unis
- Molinard Perfumery (Maison Molinard)
- Castle Hill (Colline du Château)
- Massena Square (Place Masséna)
- Quai Lunel
- Place Garibaldi
- Massena Art & History Museum (Musée Masséna)
- Marc Chagall National Museum (Musée National Marc Chagall)
- Hotel Negresco
- St. Nicholas Cathedral (Cathédrale Saint-Nicolas)
- Nice Old Town (Vieux Nice)
- Mt. Boron (Mont Boron)
- Matisse Museum (Musée Matisse)
- Cimiez Monastery (Monastere de Cimiez)
- Villefranche Cruise Port (Port de la Santé)