Things to Do & Must-See Attractions in Prague
Even when it's groaning under the weight of sketch artists, jazz musicians, trinkets and tourists, there's no resisting the charm of the Charles Bridge ('Karlův most' in Czech). Its 500 meters (1,640 feet) link the Old Town with Castle Hill and provide some of the best views of the city and of the graceful river Vltava. It was built in the 15th century to replace the older Judith Bridge, which had been swept away by floods. The Charles Bridge (originally called the Stone Bridge - the name was changed in the 19th century) has proved remarkably resilient. Some say it's down to the eggs mixed into its mortar. What makes the bridge so special is its rows of blackened baroque saints, each attended by angels and lions and followers. The statues emerging from the mists of a Prague dawn is one of the loveliest sights of the city. If you want to make sure you come back to Prague, touch the statue of St. John of Nepomuk (he was martyred by being thrown into the river from the bridge).
What is called Prague Castle (or Pražský hrad) is actually a huge complex containing museums, churches, palaces, and gardens. The immense Gothic cathedral of St. Vitus is dominant on the skyline. The Castle complex, high on its hill above Charles Bridge and the Vltava River, is the focal point of Prague.
You can just go to wander - it's free to enter the Castle, even at night - or you can pay to enter some of the buildings and get a more in-depth view. Either way, the grandeur of the place will keep you busy for at least half a day. After all, this is the biggest castle complex in the world.
The buildings range from the Romanesque to the Gothic. The Royal Palace itself was home to Bohemian kings during the 9th century. The Basilica of St. George dates from the 10th century. You can also visit the Riding School, the gardens (open in the summer only), and Golden Lane, a charming row of medieval houses from the old goldsmith's district.
Originally called St. Nicholas Street, but renamed in 1926 to pay tribute to France for helping free the Czechs from Austria-Hungary during World War II, Paris Street is one of Prague’s most prestigious. Also called Parizska Street, it runs between the Old Town Square and the Cechuv Bridge. Lined with trees, it is home to some of the top designers in the world, including Louis Vitton, Hermes, Dolce & Gabbana, Dior, Prada and Gucci. The street’s architecture is also an attraction, with examples of neo-Baroque neo-Renaissance and Secession styles. Buildings feature richly decorated balconies, elegant moldings, busts, statues, turrets and towers.
In addition to clothing boutiques and shops, Paris Street boasts some of the top makers of watches and jewelry, such as Rolex and Cartier. It is also home to some of the best restaurants and cafes in Prague, including Barock, widely considered the best restaurant in the city.
Prague's central boulevard and largest public square, Wenceslas Square (Vaclavske namesti) has been the social and political heart of the city for hundreds of years and is home to some of the city’s finest works of architecture. Originally laid out in the 14th century as the centerpiece of King Charles's Nové Město (New Town), the square was used as a horse market until being renamed after the patron saint of Bohemia, Saint Wenceslas, in the 19th century.
Today Wenceslas Square is the commercial center of the city, dominated by grand monumental buildings and making the perfect starting point for walking tours of the city’s attractions. At the top of the square looms the striking neo-renaissance façade of the Prague National Museum, with its iconic dome marking an important strategic landmark.
The Rudolfinum is a prestigious music and art venue located on Jan Palach Square on the bank of the Vltava River in Prague. This impressive neo-Renaissance building was built between 1876 and 1884, opening in 1885 to serve as a multi-purpose cultural center combining concert halls and exhibition rooms.
Today, the Rudolfinum is home to the Galerie Rudolfinum and hosts a varied programme of classical music concerts and art exhibitions. It is the home venue of the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra, which was founded in 1896. The Philharmonic Orchestra holds world-class classical performances throughout the year from the building’s largest hall, the Dvořák, which is one of the oldest concert halls in Europe and is noted for its exceptional acoustics. As well as being able to buy tickets for various performances and exhibitions at the Rudolfinum, guided tours are available for those interested in the history and architecture of the building.
Prague was largely spared from the bombing that scarred other central European cities during World War II, but was attacked in error by the US Air Force on Feb. 14, 1945; many historic buildings were destroyed and several hundred Czechs were killed. The undulating, curvaceous Dancing House now stands on one of the former bomb craters, at the corner of a street overlooking the Vltava River. Designed by the architectural duo of Czech-Croatian Vlado Milunić and Frank Gehry (of Guggenheim Bilbao fame) and completed in 1996, the glass-and-concrete construction stands out among the city’s elegant Neo-Renaissance townhouses and was initially highly controversial in Prague for its extreme post-modern styling.
Malá Strana is the area that meanders down from the Castle Hill to the Vltava River. A literal translation of its name would be 'Small Side' but its most often called the Lesser Side. Unfair? Well, while it might not have the grandeur of the Old Town across the river, many find it more charming.
Because the area was razed by fires in the 16th century, the architecture here is mainly baroque. Its finest site is the Wallenstein Palace with its fabulous walled garden full of fountains and statues. There's also the Church of Saint Nicholas and, high on Petřín Hill, a miniature replica of the Eiffel Tower.
Kampa Park is on the west bank of the Vltava River in Prague. The park is famous for three giant baby sculptures designed by controversial artist David Cerny. Cerny purposely made his art with the intention to provoke people, and you can find his art throughout the city. He also made 10 other baby sculptures which can be seen crawling up the Zizkov TV Tower. The ones on the TV tower are made of fiberglass, but the ones in the park are bronze. The babies don't have normal faces. Instead they have alien-looking heads with long rectangular slots where the face should be.
The sculptures in the park were supposed to be part of a temporary exhibit, but they were so popular that they are now a permanent part of the scenery. They are located near the entrance to the Kampa Museum, which is the Museum of Modern Art from Central Europe.
More Things to Do in Prague
With the distinction of being the only privately owned building in the sprawling Prague Castle complex, Lobkowicz Palace is home to one of the city’s finest art collections. A masterpiece of Baroque architecture, the palace stands next to the Royal Palace and was built in the mid-16th century for Czech nobleman Jaroslav of Pernštejn. The aristocratic Lobkowicz family took over the palace through a dynastic marriage in 1603, lost it under Communist occupation following World War II and regained control of it only in 2002.
The Lobkowicz private art collection is the biggest in the Czech Republic and has been augmented over 600 years of family history. The highlights are displayed in 22 ornate Baroque apartments and include a master class in European painting, with outstanding works by Pieter Brueghel the Elder, Cranach, Velázquez, Canaletto and Rubens.
One of Prague’s biggest visitor attractions, the ornate 15th-century astronomical clock is found on the southern side of Prague’s Gothic Old Town Hall. Gilded and complex in design, the clock was made by Czech master clockmaker Mikuláš of Kadaň in 1410 although it has been repeatedly restored and added to over the centuries. Its upper face shows the time and day of the week, the lower one reveals delicately painted signs of the zodiac. Every hour, on the hour, hundreds of tourists gather around the clock to witness the figure of Christ emerge from tiny trap doors above the upper dial of the clock, followed by a collection of wooden Apostles, to act out a mini-medieval morality tale, while the skeletal figure of Death strikes a bell, Greed counts out his money and Vanity worships his reflection.
The Old Town Hall itself was built in 1338 and is today a popular venue for Prague weddings as well as home of the city’s main tourist information center.
Twice as large as the Old Town area, Prague’s New Town (Nove Mesto) is sprawled across one of the banks of the Vltava River. Despite its name, the New Town was founded by Charles IV back in 1348 following his coronation under the Holy Roman Empire. It was later redeveloped during the late 19th century.
The New Town features a mix of historic buildings and squares with more modern developments. Wenceslas Square lies at the heart of the area. This was originally built as a horsemarket and is now a popular place for visitors due to its variety of hotels, shops, restaurants, and nightlife. Other notable squares in the New Town include Charles Square and Republic Square, which also hold plenty of appeal for visitors. The main attractions and historical buildings within the New Town include the Dvořák Museum, the National Museum, the National Theater, the Dancing House, and the New Town Hall.
The Strahov Monastery in Prague was established in 1143. It has survived fires, wars, revolutions, and communist regimes, though it has occasionally been rebuilt. Even when the monks were unable to remain in the monastery, they waited in a safe place until they could return. Today it is still a place of learning, meditation, and tranquility, and approximately 70 monks live there. The impressive spires of the basilica are a famous part of Prague's skyline, but the library is the monastery's most important feature. The library contains thousands of volumes, including 3,000 original manuscripts. The Theological Hall contains mostly literature of a theological nature and thousands of editions of the Bible.
The monastery's location on Petrin Hill near the Prague castle is a good place for views of the city due to the higher elevation. The monastery has also been the backdrop for several major films, such as the horror film “From Hell” starring Johnny Depp.
Much more than just a pretty façade, the Prague National Theatre (Narodni divadlo) is one of the capital’s most important and culturally significant buildings, celebrated as a symbol of Czech cultural and political independence. Completed in 1883 while the country was under Austrian rule, the National Theatre was originally refused funding by the government of Vienna but after a nationwide appeal and a flood of financial contributions from Czech citizens, building commenced in 1865. It’s unique funding means that, more than any of the city’s historic buildings; the Prague National Theatre really does belong to the people.
Taking 16 years to finish, the theatre is the masterwork of Czech architect Josef Zítek, who crafted a dramatic neo-Renaissance façade reflective of the artistic liberation of the Czech National Revival.
Located in Hradčany near Prague Castle, the ornate, gleaming white Loreta is a Baroque jewel constructed around several arcaded courtyards and surrounded by cloisters and chapels. Topped with a copper spire, the monastery was built between 1626 and 1631 at the behest of Baroness Beligna Katherina von Lobkowicz; it was designed by Bohemian architects Kryštof and Kilián Ignác Dientzenhofer and is still occupied today by an order of Capuchin monks. The complex is one of the foremost pilgrim destinations in Bohemia, thanks to its replica of the Holy House (Santa Casa) of the Virgin Mary, copied from the original humble abode she occupied in Nazareth, which was moved from the Holy Land to Loreto in Italy for safekeeping in the 13th century. The Loreta’s Santa Casa shrine is made of simple brickwork on its interior and is encased in carved stone bas-reliefs depicting scenes from the life of the Virgin Mary.
The Estates Theatre is one of the most beautiful historical theaters in Europe. Built in less than two years, it opened in 1783, making it Prague's oldest theater. The site, known by locals as Stavoske divaldo, is famous for its connection with Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, who spent quite some time in Prague working on operas that would later be performed here. His Marriage of Figaro was played here in 1786, and the next year, Mozart personally conducted the world premiere of Don Giovanni in this space. Don Giovanni is still the theater's most prized opera performance.
While the building’s exterior has become an architectural icon, it’s the interior that leaves visitors truly breathless. Ornate gilded ceilings, glowing hallows of light and classically inspired design make the Estate Theatre’s environment almost as impressive as its performances.
Like many old European cities, Prague once had city walls and gates. The Powder Tower is one of those gates, and it dates back to the 11th century when it was one of 13 entrances into Prague's Old Town. It was originally called the New Tower, but its name was changed in the 17th century when it was used to store gunpowder. This is the gate future kings of Bohemia used to pass through on their coronation parades along the traditional Royal Way to the Prague Castle.
Today the tower houses a permanent exhibition called Prague Towers. The tower is 213 feet high, and there is a viewing platform at 144 feet, accessible by 186 stairs, where visitors can see the city from above. The Powder Tower and the Old Town Bridge Tower are the only remaining parts of Prague's former old town fortification.
Prague’s outpost of the worldwide Hard Rock brand is one of the most popular hangouts in the city. Tucked away behind the fresco-covered façade of the 19th-century VJ Rott House, it is just a five-minute walk from the focus of the night-time action in Old Town Square. As one of the largest branches of Hard Rock in Europe, it has two sleek bars in which to sample Czech pilsner beers or a couple of cocktails, plus three floors of restaurant selling the world-famous menu of steaks, salads and legendary burgers.
The ornate Art Nouveau interior of the restaurant contrasts neatly with Hard Rock’s grungy displays of rock ‘n’ memorabilia—from Johnny Cash’s embroidered Western-style shirt, a pair of Elvis’s trousers and a tails coat worn on tour by Madonna, but these are all totally overshadowed by the huge, guitar-shaped chandelier hanging over the atrium. Prague’s Hard Rock also offers live music on Thursday and Friday nights.
Petrin Tower is a TV tower that looks like a mini Eiffel Tower located on Petrin Hill in Prague. It was built in 1891 for the Jubilee Exhibition. The tower is 200 feet tall, but because Petrin Hill is 1,043 feet high, the top of the tower is about the same height as the top of the real Eiffel Tower in Paris. You can reach the top by climbing 299 stairs, and once you're up there, you will have wonderful views of the city from the viewing platform. On a clear day it is possible to see Snezka, the highest peak in the Czech Republic, which is 93 miles away.
The tower is surrounded by a grassy park and several other attractions, making this a fun place to spend a few hours. To reach the top of Petrin Hill, you can drive, walk, or take the funicular.
St. Vitus (or Katedrála svatého Víta) is the biggest and most important church in Prague, the pinnacle of the Castle complex, and one of the most knockout cathedrals in Europe. It's broodingly Gothic, with a forest of spires and a rose window to rival that of Notre Dame.
Enter by the Golden Portal to take a look at the stunning Last Judgement mosaic. Inside you'll find the final resting places of both Charles IV (who gave his name to Charles Bridge) and Saint Wenceslas. The chapel containing Wenceslas' remains is a stunner, encrusted with semi-precious stones.
The cathedral also contains the crown jewels of the Bohemian kings and an Art Nouveau window by Mucha. Climb the tower for a stunning view of the Castle District.
The St. Agnes Convent is a complex of 13th-century buildings and churches tucked away in a corner of Prague’s Old Town. Consisting primarily of the convent of the Poor Clares and the monastery of the Friars Minor, it represents the first example of a Gothic style of architecture in Bohemia, although part of the monastery was reconstructed in a Renaissance style in the 16th century. The complex was restored and renovated in the 1980 and began exhibiting the National Gallery’s collection of medieval and early Renaissance art in 2000. The collection includes art from the 13th to 16th centuries from Bohemia and central Europe, including more than 200 paintings, sculptures and other crafts. Works from the reign of the Luxembourgs and artwork associated with the rise of the Czech lands during the reigns of Vladislav and Ludwig Jagellon are considered national treasures.
Things to do near Prague
- Things to do in Pilsen
- Things to do in Karlovy Vary
- Things to do in Dresden
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Leipzig
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Berlin
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Bohemia
- Things to do in Saxony
- Things to do in Upper Austria