Things to Do & Must-See Attractions in Wanaka
Read MoreShow Less
This small, but lively resort town serves as the gateway to World Heritage Area, Mt Aspiring National Park and New Zealand's fourth-largest lake. Whether you’re looking for peace and quiet or adventures, a long list of options is waiting, and most come with lake and mountain views.
With four distinct seasons, comes changing scenery and changing activities to enjoy in the area. In the summer water activities like boating, kayaking, fishing and swimming take center stage. Fall offers perfect conditions for hiking and biking, while skiers and snowboarders count the days to winter. Spring offers a great combination of spring skiing, biking and exploring trails.
Movie fans visiting for the first time may experience a strong sense of déjà vu. The area around Lake Wanaka and Mt Aspiring National Park is also home to a number of film locations for The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.
Things to do near Wanaka
- Things to do in South Island
- Things to do in Queenstown
- Things to do in Fiordland & Milford Sound
- Things to do in Te Anau
- Things to do in Mount Cook
- Things to do in Fox Glacier
- Things to do in Dunedin & The Otago Peninsula
- Things to do in Invercargill
- Things to do in Stewart Island
- Things to do in Greymouth
- Things to do in Christchurch
- Things to do in Akaroa
- Things to do in Wellington
- Things to do in North Island
- Things to do in Tasmania