Warsaw Royal Castle (Zamek Krolewski) Tours
Rebuilt following the destruction of World War II, the Royal Castle stands watch over the entrance to Warsaw Old Town. Explore beyond the brick facade to find a trove of historic furniture, artwork, and gilded decor. From the Great Apartments to the Throne Room, Warsaw Royal Castle showcases centuries of Warsaw history.
See the Royal Castle, one of the top attractions in Warsaw, on most tours of the city, including via hop-on hop-off bus tours. Get beyond the gardens and exterior on an interior tour of the royal architecture. Tours of Royal Castle generally include the king’s apartments and chambers, though additional tickets are needed for some areas. Among other highlights: the Numismatic Cabinet, full of coins and medallions, and Tin-Roofed Palace, replete with tapestries and decorative art.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Warsaw Royal Castle is a great stop for history buffs and art lovers.
- Museum entry is free on Wednesday; some exhibits are free to visit at any time.
- The Royal Castle is wheelchair- and stroller-accessible.
How to Get There
The Royal Castle is usually included as a stop on a Warsaw hop-on hop-off tour. The closest tram stop is Stare Miasto (The Old Town), served by lines 4, 13, 20, and 26; nearby bus stops include Plac Zamkowy (Castle Square) and Stare Miasto (The Old Town). Bike sharing stations are also located nearby.
When to Get There
The Warsaw Royal Castle is open daily (except for some holidays), but hours vary by season. Free-to-access gardens are open year-round, though only the Lower Garden is open in winter. While admission to the Royal Castle is free on Wednesday, Numismatic Cabinet is closed on that day. Final entry is one hour before close.
Visiting Special Areas in the Warsaw Royal Castle
In addition to the main castle, there are two areas that require additional tickets. The Numismatic Cabinet (closed on Wednesday) features a permanent exhibition of coins, medals, and banknotes. Housing the collection of Oriental carpets and the apartment of Prince Joseph Poniatowski, the Tin-Roofed Palace holds tapestries, decorative arts, and other works drawn from Europe and Asia.
36 Tours and Activities to Experience Warsaw Royal Castle (Zamek Krolewski)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Warsaw Old Town with Royal Castle + Royal Route: SMALL GROUP /inc. Pick-up/
- Warsaw Old Town with Royal Castle + Royal Route: PRIVATE TOUR /inc. Pick-up/
- Small-Group Historical Guided Tour of Warsaw with Hotel Pickup
- City Sightseeing Warsaw Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Tour
Things to do near Warsaw
- Things to do in Krakow
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Kaliningrad
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Wroclaw
- Things to do in Lviv
- Things to do in Kaunas
- Things to do in Vilnius
- Things to do in Berlin
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Budapest
- Things to do in Northern Hungary
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- Things to do in Saxony