Are you interested in?
- Banks Peninsula and Christchurch tour from Akaroa port
- Travel from Akaroa through breathtaking scenery to Christchurch
- Visit the Christchurch Botanic Gardens
- See the city sights of Christchurch
- Entry to Christchurch's leading attraction -- International Antarctic Centre
- Take a ride on the Hagglund all-terrain vehicle
- Covered by Viator’s worry-free policy: guaranteed on-time return to your ship
Departure & Return
From the Main Wharf in Akaroa, head down to the end where you will see the Akaroa I-Site and a small park on the right-hand side. Next to the Canon statue, a representative will be waiting for you. Please arrive by 10.15am for a 10.30am departure.
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Get an overview of central Christchurch and its significant landmarks during a tour that includes the Museum and Art Centre, Avon River and the Bridge of Remembrance, and the Christchurch Botanic Gardens.
Next, indulge the senses with the sounds, sights — and temperatures — of Antarctica at the notable International Antarctic Centre. Your admission ticket includes entry into the Snow and Ice Experience, which re-creates real-life conditions with an indoor storm complete with blizzard audio, lightning and arctic winds. At the Penguin Encounter, you’ll meet a couple dozen blue penguins — the smallest penguins in the world.
Then, strap yourself in for an extreme all-terrain adventure with an amphibious Hagglund ride through water, across an ice pack and over a crevasse. The experience emulates the conditions that scientists face while riding across Antarctica.
Afterward, relax during the return journey to Akaroa with drop-off at your cruise terminal.
Worry-free Shore Excursion:We will ensure your timely return to the Akaroa port for this activity. In the rare event your ship has departed, we will arrange for transportation to the next port-of-call. If your ship is delayed and you are unable to attend this activity, your money will be refunded. See our terms and conditions for full details.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- At time of booking, Cruise ship passengers must provide the following information: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Please note that activity times and schedules can be slightly amended depending on your cruise ships timetable.
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 100 travelers
- OPERATED BY Leisure Tours
- Any changes made less than 6 full days before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- For a 50% refund, you must cancel 3–6 full days before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 2 full days before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 2 full days before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 7 full days before the experience’s start time.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.