Are you interested in?
- Private tour with just you and your party
- Choose to meet your guide at your hotel or the Tung Chung MTR Station
- Total walking distance 3 to 6 miles (5 to 10 km)
- Visit the Big Buddha and the village of Tai O
Departure & Return
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Begin your exploration of Lantau with a ride on the Ngong PIng Cable Car, which features views of Lantau Country Park over the course of the 25-minute ride. Once you arrive at the Big Buddha, you can climb the 268 steps to visit the top, the hall of the 10,000 Buddhas, and the Po Lin Monastery.
Hop on the bus for the 20-minute ride (own expense) to Tai O, a village comprised of homes on stilts in the water. Visit the colorful seafood market and learn how the village is famous for its production of shrimp sauce and shrimp paste. Stop by the restored Old Police Station, now a hotel, where you can stop for lunch (own expense).
Visit one of the remaining shrimp sauce factories and a temple built in the 15th century before boarding a speedboat for a 20-minute ride (keep an eye out for the native pink dolphins). If you like, you can trek to a lookout point to see the bridge being built to connect Hong Kong to Macau.
Please note: Total walking distance is 3 to 6 miles (5 to 10km); this tour is suitable for participants who are reasonably physically fit.
Weekdays, you'll meet at Tung Chung at 9:45am (hotel 9am) and holidays/weekends at Tung Chung at 8:45am (hotel 8am).
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Children aged 2 or under join for free
- This tour requires you to be physically fit. You will be walking between 5 and 10km over the course of the day. How far you walk will depend on how much walking you want to do at Tai O. You will be going at a slow pace, across flat land but you do need to be in reasonable health. If you wish to visit the Big Buddha up close you will need to be able to climb up 268 steps!
- Occasionally the cable car is closed for maintenance. If it is closed on the day that you would like to tour, your tour guide will refund you the price of the cable car tickets and you will use the bus instead.
- Please also inform us if you are travelling with children under 12 years of age.
- Tours will be conducted in English unless requested otherwise at the time of booking.
- Tours are available in French, Cantonese and Mandarin Chinese.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Cancellation Policy: If you cancel more than one week (more than 168 hours) in advance we will give you a full refund (excluding credit card processing charges. If you cancel between 7 days and 2 days (between 167 and 48 hours before) we will give you a 50% refund (excluding any service charge). There are no refunds if you cancel less than 48 hours' notice.
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY Hello Hong Kong
If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff