Highlights of the exhibition include a mummified cat from Egypt that’s believed to be more than 5,000 years old and the world’s only mounted specimen of the Bay Cat, an endangered wild cat endemic to the island of Borneo. A separate exhibit is devoted to the five wild cats of Sarawak, whereas other corners of the facility discuss various types of global cat food and the Broadway musical Cats, and feature a section devoted to Hello Kitty dolls.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Kuching Cat Museum is a great rainy day activity and a must-visit for feline fans.
- The museum is free to enter however there is a small fee for visitors wishing to take photographs of the exhibits inside.
- There are restrooms and a gift shop, where you can buy an array of cat-themed souvenirs, at the museum.
How to Get There
The museum is located at the top of Bukit Siol (Siol Hill) in the Kuching North City Hall Headquarters, from which you can enjoy sweeping views of Kuching. To avoid a strenuous walk to the top of the hill, opt to take the K15 bus or a taxi to the museum.
When to Get There
Kuching Cat Museum is open from Monday through Sunday, 9am-5pm, except for on public holidays such as Malaysia Independence Day. Most visitors find that around one hour is ample time to enjoy the museum.
More Museums in Kuching As well as boasting a wealth of natural attractions, Kuching is home to several excellent museums. For culture vultures, the biggest draw is undoubtedly the Sarawak Museum—hailed as the best of its kind in Borneo. Here, you’ll find an array of ethnographic and ecological artifacts relating to traditional tribal and environmental life in the state of Sarawak. The Ranee Museum tells the story of Sarawak and the White Rajahs, and is located in the historic Fort Margherita.
- Cosas que hacer en Sarawak
- Cosas que hacer en Sentosa Island
- Cosas que hacer en Kota Kinabalu
- Cosas que hacer en Yakarta
- Cosas que hacer en Kuala Lumpur
- Cosas que hacer en Sandakan
- Cosas que hacer en Petaling Jaya
- Cosas que hacer en Sabah
- Cosas que hacer en Java Occidental
- Cosas que hacer en Mekong Delta
- Cosas que hacer en Java Oriental
- Cosas que hacer en Vietnam del Sur
- Antiguo Palacio de Justicia de Kuching
- Mezquita Kuching (Mezquita Estatal Antigua)
- Torre cuadrada
- Paseo marítimo de Kuching (explanada)
- Fuerte Margherita
- Museo de Sarawak
- Mercado de Satok
- Estatuas del gato Kuching
- Templo chino de Tua Pek Kong
- Villa Cultural de Sarawak (SCV)
- Centro de Vida Silvestre Matang
- Parque Nacional Kubah
- Parque Nacional Bako
- Reserva natural de Semenggoh