Tours to Torres del Paine National Park range from day-long affairs to multi-day excursions but most of them include a stop at the dramatic Salto Grande Waterfall. Combine your visit to the waterfall with stops at glaciers and stops at cattle ranches or marvel over the Salto Grande Waterfall independently during a day hike from the Pudeto district of the park. Hikes that pass by Salto Grande Waterfall typically lead to the popular "Horns Viewpoint."
Things to Know Before You Go
Wear plenty of warm layers for a visit to the Salto Grande Waterfall as the weather conditions in the park are predictably unpredictable.
It’s possible to hike right to the edge of the Salto Grande Waterfall so wear slip-resistant shoes.
Most excursions to Torres del Paine include time to visit the Salto Grande Waterfall.
You must pay an access fee to enter Torres del Paine National Park.
Salto Grande Waterfall isn’t wheelchair or stroller accessible.
How to Get There
Salto Grande Waterfall is situated within the Pehoé sector of Torres del Paine National Park and is easily accessible by private vehicle and on foot. Follow the signposts along the main road through the park until you find the car park. From there, Salto Grande is an easy 1.2-mile (2-kilometer) walk. Alternatively, visit as part of a guided excursion into the National Park.
When to Get There
Salto Grande is accessible year-round, although most travelers visit during the Torres del Paine peak summer season of December to February. However, for a quieter visit, stop by in the late-spring shoulder season. Avoid winter, when many hotels close and some trails are inaccessible.
Torres del Paine National Park
There’s plenty to do in Torres del Paine National Park, one of the most popular Chilean destinations, replete with glaciers, mountains, and hiking trails. Walk through the so-called French Valley, marvel over the famous granite towers, look out for native wildlife like guanacos (llama-like camelids), and take an ice hike on Glacier Grey.
- Cosas que hacer en Puerto Montt
- Cosas que hacer en Las Pampas
- Cosas que hacer en Noroeste de Argentina
- Cosas que hacer en Altiplano
- Cosas que hacer en San Antonio
- Cosas que hacer en Santiago
- Cosas que hacer en Mendoza
- Cosas que hacer en Buenos Aires
- Cosas que hacer en Montevideo
- Cosas que hacer en Amazonas peruano
- Cosas que hacer en Costa Sur
- Cosas que hacer en Región Sudeste de Brasil
- Cosas que hacer en Costa Norte
- Cosas que hacer en Amazonas brasileño
- Cosas que hacer en Región Nordeste de Brasil