Rogie Falls is a popular stop-off for travelers making their way between Inverness and Ullapool. Some multi-day tours of the Scottish Highlands stop here, as do some day tours from Inverness. Multi-day tours typically cover the Highlands’ must-sees, such as Loch Ness and the Isle of Skye, while day tours usually combine a visit to the falls with stops at nearby sights such as the medieval-era Beauly Priory and Black Rock Gorge, a scenic canyon that served as a filming location for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
Things to know before you go
- There are public restroom facilities at the falls during the summer months.
- Wear shoes with good tread as trails at the falls can be slippery.
- Rogie Falls is not well-suited to travelers using strollers or wheelchairs as there is uneven, sloping, and sometimes muddy terrain.
How to get there
If driving, follow the A835 road west from Contin for about 2 miles (3.2 kilometers) and look out for the sign for the Rogie Falls parking lot on the east side of the road. Bus services run to nearby Contin but none go as far as the falls so if you don’t have a car, it's best to visit as part of a guided tour.
When to get there
Visit during August and September, when wild salmon can be spotted battling their way upstream. To see the falls at their most powerful, go after heavy rain.
Trails at Rogie Falls
Walkers will find short trails at the site. Follow the 0.5-mile (0.8-kilometer) Salmon Trail, a wide and smooth gravel path that leads from the parking lot to the suspension bridge over the falls. From there you have the option to extend your walk and continue along the 0.75-mile (1.2-kilometer) Riverside Trail, which leads through the woods and to the river’s edge, and features more challenging terrain such as steep slopes and rocky and muddy sections.
- Cosas que hacer en Las Highlands escocesas
- Cosas que hacer en Stirling
- Cosas que hacer en St. Andrews
- Cosas que hacer en Glasgow
- Cosas que hacer en Edimburgo
- Cosas que hacer en Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Cosas que hacer en Belfast
- Cosas que hacer en Middlesbrough
- Cosas que hacer en Liverpool
- Cosas que hacer en Manchester
- Cosas que hacer en Dublín
- Cosas que hacer en Birmingham
- Cosas que hacer en Limerick
- Cosas que hacer en Escocia nororiental
- Cosas que hacer en Noreste de Inglaterra
- Destilería Glen Ord
- Reserva natural local de Merkinch
- Tomnahurich (Fairy Hill)
- Old High Church (Antiguo Alto de San Esteban)
- Río Ness (Abhainn Nis)
- Cine y teatro Eden Court
- Jardines Botánicos de Inverness (Salón Floral)
- Castillo de Inverness
- Whin Park
- Centro y exposición del lago Ness
- Punto de Chanonry
- Castillo de Urquhart (Caisteal na Sròine)
- Garganta de Corrieshalloch
- Lago ness