These beautifully landscaped gardens complete with follies, a statue of Sir Winston Churchill, a café and benches under shady trees, were created in 1775 on a bastion at the highest point on Valletta’s fortifications. Originally the private property of the Italian members of the Knight of St John, they are twinned with Lower Barrakka Gardens (currently under renovation but with views over the Siege Memorial) on Barriera Wharf. From their position on the south side of the city walls, the gardens provide the perfect vantage point for views over the Three Cities of Vittoriosa, Senglea and Cospicua, including views across the Grand Harbour.
Take an afternoon stroll around the walls of Valletta before catching the new elevator, which ascends in seconds to the gardens, to watch the sunset before returning to waterfront with choices of quality bars and restaurants.
In the footsteps of one of Malta's great seafaring traditions, the Noon Day Gun was fired daily from the Saluting Battery above the gardens so all nearby shipping could calibrate their time. The tradition still continues today, with all the necessary military rigmarole, and can be combined with a public talk on the history of the gardens.