San Ignacio de Loyola Church (St. Ignatius Church)
San Ignacio de Loyola Church(St. Ignatius Church) began as a small adobe church built by the Jesuits in 1675. The structure as it stands today, located in the Montserrat neighborhood, was built between 1710 and 1734, making it the oldest colonial church in Buenos Aires.
San Ignacio de Loyola briefly served as the city cathedral after the Jesuits were expelled in the late eighteenth century. During the social unrest of 1955, this church, along with numerous others in the city, were burned by Peronist mobs.
The church interior required significant renovation, but the facade remained relatively unscathed. The church is immediately recognizable by its Baroque facade fronting Bolivar Street. Within the church, visitors will find several paintings and pieces of furniture dating back to the eighteenth century. Most notable is the canvas of San Ignacio de Loyola, made in 1767.