Built on top of an early Roman burial site, Llandaff Cathedral has withstood 8 centuries of fires, invasions, German bombing raids, and even lightning strikes. Located in the picturesque town of Llandaff (technically a city thanks to the cathedral) it’s thought that Christian worshippers gathered here from as early as the 6th century AD.
The cathedral is dedicated to St Peter and St Paul and has a number of interesting artworks in the interior, including a nativity triptych painted by Pre-Raphaelite artist Dante Gabriel Rossetti, stained glass windows by fellow Pre-Raphaelite Ford Madox Brown, and Jacob Epstein’s aluminium sculpture Christ in Majesty.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The cathedral is open daily, with church services held on Sundays.
- The cathedral is wheelchair accessible.
- The town of Llandaff has several claims to fame—Doctor Who is frequently filmed here, and the children’s author Roald Dahl was born here.
How to Get There
Llandaff Cathedral is in the center of Llandaff town, close to both the M4 and the A48. Local trains, as well as the number 24 bus, make the journey between Llandaff and Cardiff. Public parking is rather limited.
When to Get There
Llandaff Cathedral is open all year round, but it’s pleasant to visit in spring and summer when flowers bloom in the grounds of the cathedral. The last weekend in June sees the Llandaff Summer Festival, with live music and stalls selling local products across the town.
Walk from Llandaff to Cardiff Castle For a breath of fresh air and the chance to enjoy lovely views, set out for the hour-long walk along the River Taff from Llandaff Cathedral to Cardiff Castle. You’ll be walking through centuries of history, past the Old Bishop’s Palace in Llandaff and the ruins of the Blackfriar’s Priory in Bute Park before reaching the Norman Cardiff Castle, built almost 2,000 years ago.
- Activités à Bristol
- Activités à Oxford
- Activités à Southampton
- Activités à Birmingham
- Activités à Londres
- Activités à Horley
- Activités à Liverpool
- Activités à Manchester
- Activités à Cornouailles
- Activités à Stansted Mountfitchet
- Activités à Dublin
- Activités à Belfast
- Activités à Angleterre du Sud-Ouest
- Activités à Angleterre du Sud-Est
- Activités à Nord de l'Angleterre
- Parc Bute et Arboretum
- Hôtel de ville de Cardiff (Neuadd y Ddinas)
- Musée national de Cardiff
- Stade de la Principauté (Millennium Stadium)
- Château de Cardiff (Castell Caerdydd)
- Centre des arts de l'Église norvégienne
- Château de Caerphilly (Castell Caerffili)
- Île Barry (Ynys y Barri)
- Abbaye de Tintern
- Parc national de Snowdonia