Originally built in 1868 for Lutheran Norwegian sailors, the Norwegian Church was donated to the city and eventually relocated to its current spot in 1992 when the Millennium Centre was under construction. Explore the Dahl Gallery, an exhibition space dedicated to homegrown Welsh talent; enjoy a homemade cake at the onsite café; or simply enjoy the views over the water at the recently-redeveloped Cardiff Bay.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Recharge at the onsite café, which serves homemade cakes and snacks, alongside tea and coffee.
- Roald Dahl fans will be pleased to learn that the Welsh author of Norwegian heritage was baptized at the Norwegian Church.
- The Norwegian Church has beautiful views over Cardiff Bay.
- Dahl’s silver christening bowl can be seen on display at the Norwegian Church Arts Centre.
- Braille menus are available for partially-sighted or blind guests.
How to Get There
The Norwegian Church is situated between the Waterfront and Britannia Parks at Cardiff Bay, about a 30-minute walk from the city center. Public transport connections between Cardiff center and the Bay are also excellent, with several regular trains and buses running between the two daily. There’s even a water taxi service which leaves for the Bay from outside Cardiff Castle.
When to Get There
Open daily from 10:30am to 6pm, the Norwegian Church is an excellent place to take a break while exploring Cardiff Bay and admission is free. Hot food isn’t available after 5pm though. September is also a great time to visit, as the Norwegian Church pays homage throughout the month to famous former worshipper, Roald Dahl.
Other religious buildings in and around Cardiff While the Norwegian Church no longer operates as such, there are many other religious points of interest in and around Cardiff, including the Grade II-listed Shah Jalal Mosque and the 12th century Anglican Llandaff Cathedral, which features Jacob Epstein’s “Christ in Majesty” statue. Both can be visited independently and for free.
- Activités à Bristol
- Activités à Oxford
- Activités à Southampton
- Activités à Birmingham
- Activités à Londres
- Activités à Horley
- Activités à Liverpool
- Activités à Manchester
- Activités à Cornouailles
- Activités à Stansted Mountfitchet
- Activités à Dublin
- Activités à Belfast
- Activités à Angleterre du Sud-Ouest
- Activités à Angleterre du Sud-Est
- Activités à Nord de l'Angleterre
- Stade de la Principauté (Millennium Stadium)
- Château de Cardiff (Castell Caerdydd)
- Hôtel de ville de Cardiff (Neuadd y Ddinas)
- Musée national de Cardiff
- Parc Bute et Arboretum
- Cathédrale de Llandaff
- Île Barry (Ynys y Barri)
- Château de Caerphilly (Castell Caerffili)
- Abbaye de Tintern
- Parc national de Snowdonia