Travel to the Greek Theater in Taormina is popular to take in views of the Sicilian coastline. For views at an even higher vantage point, visit the town of Castelmola. Staircases and an uphill path connect the two villages. Castelmola is home to restaurants and cafes plus several small churches. Some tour itineraries exploring this section of the coast from Catania include a stop at Castelmola.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Castelmola is a must-see attraction for outdoor adventure travelers seeking a scenic hike.
- Wear your hiking boots as the staircases and paths that connect Taormina to Castelmola are steep.
- Taste the local vino di mandorla or almond wine; served cold, it’s a popular refreshment for recovering after the hike.
How to Get There
The hike from Taormina to Castelmola is under three kilometers and takes approximately one hour to complete (walking downhill is faster). It takes about 15 minutes to drive between the towns. Castelmola is located on the coast a one-hour drive north from Catania. Most visitors arrive by hiking, car, or as part of a guided tour.
When to Get There
Peak season in this region of Italy is during the summer months. Avoid the crowds by traveling during the spring or fall months, which offer milder temperatures that are more pleasant for hiking between Taormina and Castelmola.
The Views This is one of Sicily’s most dramatic vantage points, with views of the volcano Mt. Etna, the Bay of Giardini-Naxos, and the Cape of San Alessio. On a clear day look out for the strait of Messina and the Calabrian coast, on the mainland of Italy.
- Cathédrale de Taormina (Duomo) et Piazza del Duomo
- Taormina Piazza Duomo
- Église Santa Caterina (Chiesa di Santa Caterina)
- Odéon romain de Taormina
- Vieille ville de Taormina (Centro Storico)
- Corso Umberto I
- Piazza IX Aprile
- Palais Corvaja (Palazzo Corvaja)
- Théâtre grec de Taormina (Teatro Greco)
- Téléphérique de Taormina (Funivia)
- Villa Comunale
- Plage de Mazzarò (Lido Mazzarò)
- Port de croisière de Taormina (Crociere du terminal de Taormina)
- Gorges de l'Alcantara (Gole dell'Alcantara)
- Chemin de fer Circumetnea (Ferrovia Circumetnea)