GREAT wineries, not so much driver/tour contacts
Tour for Vegetarians in Tuscany - Chianti Wine and Organic Food From Florence | mag 2019
We were a group of eight and overall had a great day. The good:
- Driver picked us up in private van at a villa in a small town away from major areas and did not charge extra
- Both wineries were interesting - the second, Tenuto Torchiano, was a truly special experience. We didn't tour the barrel rooms etc. (but had done so at the first, Villa Lornano) but got a great overview of the history of the winery and the region. We had a lovely three-course meal, and our tasting was led by an actual sommelier and we all learned a ton, despite many prior winery tours.
- We got to stop in San Gimignano and walk around on our own, before returning to the van for ride home.
- the driver didn't add much to the trip - he was an aggressive driver, acted annoyed with us because he couldn't find our villa easily, and didn't add much commentary on the drive. He also threw his hands up in the air at the first winery because we wanted to go take a group picture, and kept complaining about running late. He was over 30 minutes late to pick us up, and we were a private group - it just was odd he was trying to cut us off when we wanted to linger.
- overall customer service of the company was not good. I asked when I booked to confirm they could come pick us up in our small town, since the description mentions other towns. I emailed twice after they took the booking to ask again, and got no response. I had to call Viator to get them to contact them before they responded to me.
- as I noted above, the driver showed up 30 minutes late. I had made sure he had my phone number so he could call/text me when at the top of the drive, as I told the tour company the villa was at the bottom and I could come greet him. I called the tour company at 15 past the pickup time, and the man I spoke to was very dismissive. He just said, yes, clearly he is late, and kept saying "OK bye bye" when I tried to ask if he knew when to expect him, and hung up on me.
- the driver did call me when he was at the top of the drive, but just said he didn't know where the villa was, so I walked up and found him - and again, he was cranky with me that he "didn't know" it was down the hill and he's been lost, and I just asked him why he didn't call me earlier and he just ignored me.
So yeah, the tour is great and we will remember it for years. Hopefully their other drivers are better and the client service was just having a bad week.... Mostra altro