In winter 1944/1945, German forces made one last desperate attempt to punch through the Allied lines stretching between Luxembourg and Antwerp in a move the Germans called the Ardennes Offensive and Allied forces called the Battle of the Bulge.
Located just north of Bastogne, the German War Cemetery at Recogne is where 6,807 German soldiers, many of whom lost their lives in the Ardennes Offensive, are laid to rest. Toward the end of the war, the cemetery held the remains of both U.S. and German soldiers, but the American war dead were relocated to Henri-Chapelle starting in 1946.
Unlike other military cemeteries where it’s standard to have a headstone for each fallen soldier, the German War Cemetery has multiple soldiers—as many as six—commemorated on each grave. A chapel in the northwest corner of the cemetery has the names of the dead, as well as their headstone location, etched inside.
The cemetery is free to enter, but the private organization charged with maintaining the facilities rely in part on donations for upkeep.