The Palm House, a Victorian glass conservatory dating back to 1896, stands at the center of Liverpool’s Sefton Park. The octagonal dome houses the Liverpool Botanical Collection, with flora from five continents, and regularly hosts events such as concerts and film screenings.
Palm House is a Sefton Park highlight. Locals frequent the conservatory to unwind among its tropical plants and take in views through the glass panels or attend events ranging from jazz concerts and singalongs to yoga and guided meditation. Statues at the Palm House feature Charles Darwin and Captain Cook, both by Léon-Joseph Chavalliaud, and Peter Pan, created by British sculptor Sir George Frampton.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Sefton Park is a popular spot for families and outdoor enthusiasts.
- It’s worth bringing an umbrella in rainy months, as Palm House is only accessible on foot.
- The building is fully wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
Palm House is located in south Liverpool’s Sefton Park. To reach the conservatory by public transit, take the train to St. Michaels, about a 20-minute walk away, or bus 75, 80, or 80A to Ullet Road, which borders the park. Cycle Route 56 passes through Sefton Park, and bike racks are available. Free parking can be found on the streets surrounding the park.
When to Get There
Views of Palm House change daily and throughout the year, as the light through the glass panels changes and interacts with the seasonal flora. The Botanical Collection is designed to have year-round offerings, with jasmine blooming in early spring and hibiscus providing a splash of summer color. The event calendar includes seasonal festivities such as Christmas carol concerts.
Palm House and the Liverpool Blitz
After London, Liverpool was the most heavily bombed city during the Blitz of World War II. In May 1941, a bomb fell near Palm House and shattered all the glass, though it is now fully restored. The Church of St. Luke in central Liverpool was also badly damaged, but the burnt-out structure was left in remembrance. The Bombed Out Church, as it’s commonly known, is now a living memorial and community hub.