Although construction started in 1626, the cathedral took over 100 years to build. Now, it’s a popular landmark in Monterrey, one that’s easy to admire both inside and out as an independent visitor. Many walking tours of the city also pass by the cathedral and can provide commentary on the building and its history that you wouldn’t otherwise get. Such tours typically stop at other attractions such as the nearby Macroplaza, Obispado viewpoint, and more.
Things to Know Before You Go
It’s free to access the Metropolitan Cathedral in Monterrey.
Monterrey can get very hot in the sweltering summer months and the cool cathedral interior offers a pleasant respite from the heat.
The Metropolitan Cathedral is accessible for wheelchair users, as there’s typically a ramp at the front entrance.
How to Get There
The Metropolitan Cathedral is situated at the south end of the Monterrey Macroplaza, in the heart of the downtown. From most central parts of the city, it’s easy to reach on foot. However, it’s equally convenient to arrive by private vehicle, especially during the sweltering summer months in Monterrey.
When to Get There
The Metropolitan Cathedral in Monterrey is accessible year-round, typically from the early morning until the early evening. Entrance is always free, and arriving for one of the religious services can be a good way to enjoy a different side to the cathedral, beyond the art and architecture.
Other Monterrey Attractions
There’s plenty to do in Monterrey, an often overlooked city in the north of Mexico. After visiting the cathedral, take in the other buildings on and around the long Macroplaza, a pedestrianized strip of land in the city’s downtown. Just next door to the cathedral, you’ll find the MARCO (Museo de Arte Contemporáneo de Monterrey), a popular art museum, while at the far end of the plaza there’s an ornate government building, as well as Neptune’s Fountain.
- Attività a South Padre Island
- Attività a San Antonio
- Attività a Houston
- Attività a Galveston
- Attività a Città del Messico
- Attività a Puerto Vallarta
- Attività a Taxco
- Attività a Dallas
- Attività a Acapulco
- Attività a San Jose del Cabo
- Attività a Texas
- Attività a Jalisco
- Attività a Messico centrale
- Attività a Guerrero
- Mexican Baseball Hall of Fame (Salón de la Fama)
- Museo del vetro (Museo del Vidrio)
- Avenida Morelos
- Lungofiume di Santa Lucia (Paseo Santa Lucia)
- Birrificio Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma (Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma)
- Parco Fundidora
- Museo statale delle culture popolari (Museo Estatal de Culturas Populares)
- Municipio di Monterrey (Palacio Municipal)
- Sesamo Park Plaza (Parque Plaza Sesamo)
- Macroplaza (La Gran Plaza)
- Barrio Antiguo (Città Vecchia)
- Mirador del Obispado (Bishop's Lookout)
- Parco ecologico di Chipinque (Parque Ecológico Chipinque)
- Plaza Fiesta San Agustin
- Villa de Santiago