The Pharmacy Museum is small and can easily be seen in less than an hour. The first floor is home to a soda fountain counter and displays of apothecary bottles, show globes, voodoo potions, and surgical devices from the 19th century and beyond. Climb up to the second floor to see the physician’s office, sick room, and special exhibits.
Many New Orleans attraction passes include museum admission, so it's a quick and easy stop to fit in while strolling around the French Quarter.
Things to know before you go
- Check out the Prescriptions and Compounding exhibit in the back corner to see where the pharmacist would mix up elixirs.
- The historic courtyard and carriageway can be rented out for private events; this may affect opening hours.
- Self-guided museum tours are offered in the afternoons, Wednesday through Saturday
- The museum is free for children under 6, though some vintage surgical equipment on display may be unsettling for kids.
How to get there
The Pharmacy Museum is located at 514 Chartres Street between St. Louis and Toulouse Streets in the French Quarter of New Orleans.
Idee di viaggio
When to get there
The museum is open in the afternoons, Wednesday through Saturday.
Nearby French Quarter Attractions
The Pharmacy Museum is conveniently located within walking distance to many other landmarks in the historic “Vieux Carré. Step inside a Victorian mansion at the Hermann-Grima House, learn about colonial history at the Cabildo, browse Mardi Gras artifacts at the Presbytere, or explore secretive practices at the New Orleans Historic Voodoo Museum.
- Cose da fare a Louisiana
- Cose da fare a Orange Beach
- Cose da fare a Destin
- Cose da fare a Sapa
- Cose da fare a Panama City Beach
- Cose da fare a Galveston
- Cose da fare a Houston
- Cose da fare a Atlanta
- Cose da fare a Dallas
- Cose da fare a Crystal River
- Cose da fare a Nashville
- Cose da fare a Tampa
- Cose da fare a San Antonio
- Cose da fare a Alabama
- Cose da fare a Georgia
- Napoleon House
- Scuola di cucina di New Orleans
- Parco storico nazionale e riserva Jean Lafitte
- Collezione storica di New Orleans (HNOC)
- Corte di due sorelle
- quartiere francese
- Steamboat Natchez
- Preservation Hall
- 1850 House
- Cattedrale di St. Louis
- Jackson Square
- Il Presbytère
- Parco delle leggende musicali
- Hotel Monteleone