Il vulcano Cayambe si trova a 70 km a nord est di Quito.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Cayambe Volcano is an ideal spot for highly-experienced hikers and outdoor enthusiasts interested in intense high-altitude hiking.
- There is no fee for camping or climbing.xa0
- Professional hiking and climbing equipment such as helmets, ropes, harnesses, and hiking boots are required.
- Wear appropriate clothing; be prepared to deal with sudden climate changes and challenging weather conditions.
- Overnight stays require advance reservation.
How to Get There
Cayambe Volcano is located in the small town of Cayambe in Pichincha Province, about 43 miles (70 kilometers) northeast of Quito. Take the #207 bus from Terminal La Ofelia to Cayambe; expect about 1.5 hours on the road. Parking is available at the entrance of the Cayambe Coca Ecological Reserve.
When to Get There
Climbing the volcano comes with the risk of high winds, snowstorms, and avalanches, and is only advisable from October to January. If you aren’t planning to scale the mountain, visit the park during the dry season, from June to December. Throughout the year, the high-altitude climate of Quito is consistently springlike with chilly nights. To experience the city in party mode, visit from February to April for Carnival and religious holiday Semana Santa.
Cayambe Coca Ecological Reserve and National Park Cayambe Volcano is located within the pristine Cayambe Coca Ecological Reserve and National Park. Varied habitat conditions from grasslands to cloud forests house a variety of animals, making it an ideal place to spot native species such as Andean condors, armadillos, mountain tapirs, and cougars. Inside the protected area, it’s possible to visit indegnous Quechua and Cofan villages for a cultural deep dive.
- Mercato di Otavalo
- Termas de Papallacta Spa
- Museo Intiñan Solar
- Monumento al centro del mondo (La Mitad del Mundo)
- Museo Guayasamin (Casa Museo Guayasamin)
- Capilla del Hombre (Museo Guayasamín)
- Mercato di Iñaquito (Mercado Iñaquito)
- Chiesa di San Francisco (Iglesia de San Francisco)
- Basilica del Voto Nazionale (La Basílica del Voto Nacional)
- Palazzo Arcivescovile (Palacio Arzobispal)
- Chiesa della Compagnia di Gesù (Iglesia La Compañía de Jesús)
- Cattedrale di Quito (Catedral de Quito)
- Museo di arte coloniale (Museo De Arte Colonial)
- Independence Plaza (Plaza de la Independencia)