The beautifully landscaped Pitmedden Garden in northern Scotland dates back to 1675. The center piece of the property is the Great Garden, a formal walled garden that was originally designed by Sir Alexander Seton, 1st Baronet of Pitmedden. In the 1950s the National Trust of Scotland began recreating the garden using designs from the 17th century. Some of the designs might have been used in the gardens at the Palace of Holyroodhouse, Edinburgh in 1647. One section is a heraldic design based on Sir Alexander's coat of arms. Today Pitmedden Garden has more than 5 miles of box hedging arranged in intricate patterns forming six sections. These different sections of the garden are filled with color during the summer months from approximately 40,000 plants.
Pitmedden Garden sits on a 100 acre estate. Also on the property is the Museum of Farming Life which teaches visitors about historical agriculture. There are also several woodland trails, ponds, an extensive herb garden, a nature hut, and a visitor center.
Pitmedden Garden is located 14 miles north of Aberdeen.