NOT WORTH IT!
1. Took about 3 hours to get there and another 3 hours back TOTAL OF 6 Hours of sitting down in a crowded bus.
2. The cave tour lasted a mere 45 MINUTES of the entire trip! It gets worse! You ARE NOT ALLOWED TO TAKE ANY PICTURES IN THE CAVE nor do they show you what a glow worm actually looks like.
3. Once the tour ends you have 15 minutes to grab a bite to eat if there isnt a line, use the bathroom AND look around the souvenir shop before you have to hop back on your bus not enough time!
4. There was NO Wifi on the bus even though it clearly states that each bus has Wifi before I purchased tickets.
5. The bathroom on the bus was Out of order
Definitely was NOT worth almost 200.
The cave tour itself was beautiful. But I wish I didn't join the tour group as all the buses were rushing us so that people could get to next location. I chose this tour alone with the thought I could spend more time at the caves, but no difference. They just put us on another bus on a schedule
The caves are fantastic. The tour was not.
Get great photo ops of fantastical rock formations in the underground chambers - what opportunity? Photos were forbidden in the caves.
Have time to explore the Waitomo visitor complex at your leisure - we had about 10 minutes before the bus left.
Have the option to pre-book a buffet lunch - lunch was a deli sandwich, apple, and a muffin in a box.
In all, 5 hours on a bus to have a 45-minute tour through the caves. Combine this one with other destinations.
We missed the pick-up and emailed the local tour partner to see if we can be accomodated next day, as we are flying out 2 days after.
Local tour partner responded late in the afternoon informng us that their tour is full ntil mar 12, we will be gone by then.
Too bad we could not reach viator to help us. We would have wanted to see this tour. So our payment was forfeited. Kinda dampened our vacation, but its our fault, we were late!
Very beautiful place. Amazing to learn not only about the glow worms but also the history of the caves. Really cool to see the stalagmites that have formed over years and years. Seeing the glow worms is so magical. It's like looking up into space and seeing bright blue stars everywhere. Absolutely no photos allowed inside because it will scare the worms then their lights will go out for sometimes days. Thought the actual boat tour would be longer though, but it just takes you in a circle in one small cave where there's a huge cluster of worms. Still amazing to see, and the surrounding forest is beautiful as well.