interesting tour of the cu Chi tunnels with our guide Japan yes - that is his name!). Day started a bit later than expected due to passenger pickups..Tour bus was full and uncomfortable but Japan did a good job of keeping everyone amused and informed.
The tour itself felt a bit rushed, but enjoyable.
We had a great half day tour which was made all the better because of our Tour Guide "Tommy" who spoke excellent English and gave everyone an insight into the history of Vietnam and the American War. The tour of the tunnel complex was very thorough and extremely informative of how they were a major influence in the change of tide in the war.
The historical grounds are fascinating and it was very exciting to be able to crawl through the real tunnel. Our guide, Thanh, from A Travel Mate was so witty and knowledgeable. We were laughing all day. It was also very good to be in a small group.
What was good:
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Drinking water was provided
- The tunnels were very impressive and it gave us a lot of insight into how the Vietnamese fought the war
- We were allowed to go into the tunnels with experienced guides leading the way so none will be lost inside the tunnels
- The shooting range We did not partake in this activity but the sound of gunfire while we were navigating the tunnels added a surreal sense of realism to the tour.
What was bad could be improved:
- We did not understand the tour guide's English very well...
- Poor driving plus bad road conditions which led to a very nauseous experience in the van as passengers for the journey to and back
- The shooting range This is subjective but for us it didn't feel right.
- The noise from the shooting range It was truly noisy when you're at the final stop to buy beverages as the shooting range was just beside it. We had to stop here for 10 minutes or more and the people who partake in the shooting range activity would shoot tens of rounds in a go which almost made some of us go deaf. They should've given ear protection or relocated the shooting range further away from the pit stop.
The tour bus arrived on time at our hotel. Our Tour guide, Timmy, was very knowledgeable and friendly. The tour was excellent and provided a deep insight into what happened during the war.. I would also recommend visiting the firing range.
This tour was a huge disappointment. Our guide had very poor English and nobody on the tour could understand him. Therefore we missed out on the information regarding the tunnels, we tried to listen into other guides so we could piece together what we were looking at. Wish we had booked through another company as this was a bucket list tour that fall well short of delivery.