Chiang Rai bezienswaardigheden
Doi Mae Salong is a mountain in northern Thailand with an elevation reaching 1,800 meters. The stunning scenery and cooler temperatures make it a popular retreat for Thais and tourists alike with activities such as mountain trekking, visiting hill-tribe villages, and touring tea plantations.
Nestled near the mountain is the village of Mae Salong (officially known as Santikhiri, meaning "hill of peace") which offers accommodations to suit all budgets. The village was originally settled by anti-communist exiles from China who were granted asylum by Thailand. The Chinese influence can still be sensed in the town's language and food.
Set at the intersection of Thailand, Laos and Burma (Myanmar) known as the “Golden Triangle,” the Hall of Opium Museum seeks to inform its visitors about the history and effects of the opium seed.
The Golden Triangle area is historically well-known for its role in the growth and distribution of opium. Tracing from its first use over 5,000 years ago to current abuse and addiction issues, learn about the opium trade’s past and present both in this area and worldwide. There are several educational multimedia exhibitions throughout, including ones on the process of production and the dangers of consumption. Walk through a dark tunnel to a flowerbed of poppies, the plant from which opium is derived, to enter.
Chiang Saen is a town in northern Thailand on the bank of the Mekong River that is known for its historic ruins. Though Chiang Saen is a small, sleepy town by modern standards, until the 14th century it was home to a powerful independent kingdom. Ruins of the ancient kingdom of Chiang Saen can still be seen, including temples, Buddha images, and the old city walls, and there is an excellent history museum.
Chiang Saen is also near the "Golden Triangle" where Thailand, Laos, and Myanmar meet. The town offers hotels and guesthouses as well as restaurants, banks, and an immigration office.
Bezienswaardigheden in de omgeving van Chiang Rai
- Bezienswaardigheden in Northern Thailand
- Bezienswaardigheden in Chiang Mai
- Bezienswaardigheden in Luang Prabang
- Bezienswaardigheden in Vientiane
- Bezienswaardigheden in Mandalay
- Bezienswaardigheden in Rangoon
- Bezienswaardigheden in Kunming
- Bezienswaardigheden in Hanoi
- Bezienswaardigheden in Bangkok
- Bezienswaardigheden in Lijiang
- Bezienswaardigheden in Changsha
- Bezienswaardigheden in Hua Hin
- Bezienswaardigheden in Battambang
- Bezienswaardigheden in Zuidwest-China
- Bezienswaardigheden in Centraal Vietnam