Costa del Sol bezienswaardigheden
There's really nowhere quite like Gibraltar. A little piece of England looking out from Spain to the coast of Africa, with a rock fabled in ancient mythology and the only wild monkey population in Europe. Quite a cocktail, huh?
Gibraltar was handed over to the British by Spain in the 18th century, and British - if its very own brand of hybridized, flashback British - it has remained ever since, despite Spain's best efforts to browbeat it into accepting its sovereignty.
The Rock of Gibraltar is a fabulous chunk of limestone rearing up over the city and overrun by Barbary macaques. There is a legend that if these monkeys leave the rock, so will the British leave Gibraltar. Winston Churchill obviously subscribed to this superstition - he requested that the macaque population be topped up during WWII.
The enormous prehistoric Caves of Nerja boast extensive grottoes, archaeological remains and the world’s largest column, rising upwards for 32 meters (105 feet) central column.
Entering the cave, you’ll see dramatically lit stalactites and stalagmites that look like organ pipes, and evidence of human habitation stretching back 25,000 years to the Paleolithic era. Galleries display artifacts, paintings and skeletons unearthed since the caves were discovered in 1959.
The underground cavern stretches for several kilometers and has the feeling of a lofty cathedral. The natural amphitheater is a memorable venue for the concerts and classical music performances held here over the year. If you’re visiting in July, you might be lucky enough to catch the annual flamenco festival.
Bezienswaardigheden in de omgeving van Costa del Sol
- Bezienswaardigheden in Marbella
- Bezienswaardigheden in Andalusië en Costa del Sol
- Bezienswaardigheden in Noord-Marokko
- Bezienswaardigheden in Algarve
- Bezienswaardigheden in Benahavis
- Bezienswaardigheden in Málaga
- Bezienswaardigheden in Tarifa
- Bezienswaardigheden in Tetouan
- Bezienswaardigheden in Tanger
- Bezienswaardigheden in Murcia
- Bezienswaardigheden in Alentejo
- Bezienswaardigheden in Costa Blanca
- Bezienswaardigheden in Estremadura
- Bezienswaardigheden in Beiras
- Bezienswaardigheden in Atlantische Kust