Chaukhtatgyi Paya, with its 65-meter-long reclining Buddha, is not only a must-see, its sheer size and rich details make it one of the most memorable stops in all of Yangon. The Buddha’s bright white face hovers some 16 meters above the ground and is decorated with brilliant red lips and bright blue eye shadow. Its golden robes drape down to the statue’s feet, which are covered in 108 intricately designed lakshanas representing each of the noble characteristics of the Buddha. Travelers can witness local monks from nearby monasteries honoring Buddha’s teachings as they wander the grounds, thick with the scent of burning incense and fresh flowers.
Since 1926 this city heritage site known for its rare antiques, old coins, Burmese jade and black market moneychangers has been a destination for locals and travelers alike. The halls of this crowded labyrinth are lined with bustling stalls where local artists sell traditional handicrafts, handmade clothes and hearty regional dishes.
Bogyoke Aung San Market has one of the largest selections of traditional longyi and gemstones, and since the first sale of the day is considered good luck, those who arrive early are likely to get some of the best prices. Travelers can watch jade being fashioned into earrings or bracelets and see clothes being stitched by hand on the second floor of Bogyoke.
Visitors looking to escape the intensity of the market and the sounds of the city can stop into the nearby Holy Trinity Cathedral for some peace and quiet contemplation.
Bezienswaardigheden in de omgeving van Rangoon
- Bezienswaardigheden in Chiang Mai
- Bezienswaardigheden in Chiang Rai
- Bezienswaardigheden in Mandalay
- Bezienswaardigheden in Bangkok
- Bezienswaardigheden in Hua Hin
- Bezienswaardigheden in Pattaya
- Bezienswaardigheden in Vientiane
- Bezienswaardigheden in Luang Prabang
- Bezienswaardigheden in Ko Tao
- Bezienswaardigheden in Ko Chang
- Bezienswaardigheden in Battambang
- Bezienswaardigheden in Koh Phangan
- Bezienswaardigheden in Northern Thailand
- Bezienswaardigheden in Golf van Thailand
- Bezienswaardigheden in Zuid-Thailand en Andaman-kust