St Philips Church

This historical church is home to the oldest religious congregation in South Carolina. The first St. Philips Church was a small wooden structure built in 1681, where St. Michael's Episcopal Church stands today. The church withstood hurricane damage in 1710, was reconstructed, burned to the ground in 1835, and finally rebuilt to the present day church in 1836. Before it burned completely, it was saved from one fire by a slave who was granted his freedom for the act. Notable South Carolinians such as John C. Calhoun are buried in the old cemetery on the grounds.

Architect Joseph Hyde incorporated some design elements from the previous structures as well as adding in new features to the stuccoed brick exterior, such as the three Tuscan porticoes and Corinthian columns. The church’s impressive steeple that towers over Church Street was added over a decade later. Today it is recognized as a National Historic Landmark.

Practical Info

St. Philips Church is located at 146 Church Street between Cumberland and Queen Streets in Charleston’s French Quarter. The Churchyard is open from 9 am to 4 pm daily with no cost for admission.
Location
Adres: 146 Church Street, Charleston, South Carolina, VS
clock-o
Openingstijden: Open from 9 am to 4 pm daily
Meer lezen

Tours en activiteiten (3)

times
icon-filterFilteren
Alles wissen
Data selecteren
Sorteren op:Standaard




mobile_o
Is het niet mogelijk om online te boeken?
+31 85 888 1845
Bel naar +31 85 888 1845