La Romana bezienswaardigheden
The national park-protected Saona Island (or Isla Saona) lies just off the southern coast of the Dominican Republic.
Lovely beaches fringe this remote slice of heaven, with the best swimming at Mano Juan and Punta Gorda. It’s an ideal beach getaway for a day’s excursion by catamaran.
The population numbers little more than 300 lucky souls, and beach and eco-touring activities are the main drawcards, along with the island’s lagoons, caves and offshore snorkeling.
The island measures around 15 miles long by 3 miles wide (25 kilometers by 5 kilometers).
If you’re wondering what it was like several centuries ago on the island of the Dominican Republic, then you should head to Altos de Chavón, a recreated 16th-century village built in La Romana near the Chavón River. Sculpted in stone, the site is an impressive example of what a Mediterranean-inspired village would have looked like on the island long ago.
Construction began in 1976 with the goal of having Altos de Chavón serve as a center for Dominican Republic culture. The site was created using the local handiwork of the people of the island; much of the stonework and metal carvings seen here were handcrafted by local artisans, which continues to draw attention to the craftwork that was once so prominent in island life. Much of Altos de Chavón is made of stone, and its coastal location provides a dramatic and inspiring backdrop. Visitors to Altos de Chavón will find restaurants, shops and even a 5,000-seat amphitheater where concerts and other performances are held.
Bezienswaardigheden in de omgeving van La Romana
- Bezienswaardigheden in Punta Cana
- Bezienswaardigheden in Samaná
- Bezienswaardigheden in Santo Domingo
- Bezienswaardigheden in Rincón
- Bezienswaardigheden in Cabarete
- Bezienswaardigheden in Arecibo
- Bezienswaardigheden in Puerto Plata
- Bezienswaardigheden in Utuado
- Bezienswaardigheden in Isla Verde
- Bezienswaardigheden in Luquillo
- Bezienswaardigheden in Cruz Bay
- Bezienswaardigheden in Grand Case
- Bezienswaardigheden in Sint Maarten
- Bezienswaardigheden in St Maarten
- Bezienswaardigheden in Antigua