The Huangpu River, extending over 71 miles (113 kilometers), flows through the middle of Shanghai’s, dividing the city into two parts – Pudong to the east and Puxi to the west. The port where the river empties into the East China Sea has now become the largest port in China and in 2012 became the world’s busiest container port.
Walking along the Huangpu River juxtaposes the colonial buildings of Old Shanghai with the towering, ultramodern skyscrapers that now dominate the skyline. While it’s possible to experience the Huangpu River from the banks with a walk along the Bund, the best way to see both sides is on a river cruise.
Most cruises start from the Bund and go upstream before turning south towards the Yangpu bridge. Boats depart throughout the day, but after the sun sets and the buildings to either side of the river light up, the Shanghai skyline becomes even more impressive than usual.
The Oriental Pearl TV Tower once used to be the highest building in Shanghai, and it's still up there. It's certainly one of the most hyperbolic and striking features of the horizon. Many people hate it; others have developed an odd affection for its bulbous form.
The design aside (it has been compared to the sound of pearls, large and small, dropping onto a jade plate - a conceit borrowed from a poem), the tower has some pretty impressive stats. It's 468 m (1,535 ft) high and the third highest TV tower in the world - the highest in Asia. Only Jin Mao Tower and the World Finance Center dwarf it on Shanghai's horizon.
You can take a ride up the lifts to its observation deck - choose from the reasonable height or the vertigo level.
Bezienswaardigheden in de omgeving van Shanghai
- Bezienswaardigheden in Oost-China
- Bezienswaardigheden in Suzhou
- Bezienswaardigheden in Wuxi
- Bezienswaardigheden in Hangzhou
- Bezienswaardigheden in Yangzhou
- Bezienswaardigheden in Nanjing
- Bezienswaardigheden in Huangshan
- Bezienswaardigheden in Changzhou
- Bezienswaardigheden in Taipei
- Bezienswaardigheden in Taichung
- Bezienswaardigheden in Busan
- Bezienswaardigheden in Incheon
- Bezienswaardigheden in Seoel
- Bezienswaardigheden in Okinawa
- Bezienswaardigheden in Prefectuur Nagasaki