As one of five museums on Museum Island, the Bode Museum, formerly the Kaiser- Friedrich Museum, houses three separate collections of sculptures and treasures: the Museum of Byzantine Art (art from the West-Roman and Byzantine Empires from the 3rd to the 15th century), the sculpture collection (sculptures from the Early Middle Ages to the late 18th century), and the Numismatic Collection (coin cabinet). The cabinet is complemented by a gallery specifically for children. The museum, which opened in 1904 was renovated in 2006.
The Bode Museum’s architecture is impressive. In order to achieve the appearance of a building rising from water the architect arranged the three-winged building around several interior courtyards so that the exterior facades immediately bordered the banks of the river Spree. A dominating dome and two opulent staircases give the building the appearance of being stately. Seen from the water, the museum gives the impression of a gigantic ship above the waterline.
In the summer, the shore on the other side is a popular place for people to meet each other and hang out.