The park is a must-see when visiting Kangaroo Island, whether you’re discovering the island on a day trip from Adelaide or staying longer. For convenience, visitors often book guided tours, which offer 4WD transportation and cover park highlights including: the Remarkable Rocks and Admiral Arch, two natural rock formations along the south coast; as well as the 19th-century Cape Borda Lighthouse and hiking trails, such as Snake Lagoon Trail and Platypus Waterhole Walk.
If you want to take the adventurous route, hop on a guided motorcycle tour, which typically includes multiple stops to take in the views and spot Australian fur seals, echidnas, and kangaroos.
Things to know before you go
- There is a small fee to enter the park.
- Stop at the visitors center for parking permits, hiking maps, and a bite at the café.
- Find restrooms, picnic spots, and campsites near the park’s main attractions.
- Many trails and attractions are only accessible by 4WD.
- Bring comfortable shoes, sunscreen, mosquito repellent, and plenty of water.
- A number of attractions are wheelchair- and stroller-accessible; contact the visitors center for specific access information.
How to get there
Flinders Chase National Park is located at the western end of Kangaroo Island, about 84 miles (135 kilometers) from Penneshaw. You can reach the island from Adelaide by a 30-minute plane ride or a 45-minute ferry ride from Cape Jervis. Once on the island, there’s no public transport to the park, so it’s best to join a guided tour unless you have your own vehicle.
When to get there
The park is open daily from sunrise to sunset. Popular spots, such as the Remarkable Rocks, can get crowded during the summer months (December–February), so try to arrive early. Spring and autumn are the most pleasant times for hiking and other outdoor activities; spring is particularly picturesque, with colorful wildflowers blooming along the coastal plains.
- Rochas notáveis
- Cape du Couedic
- Admirals Arch
- Santuário de Vida Selvagem de Hanson Bay
- Kelly Hill Conservation Park
- Vivonne Bay
- Little Sahara
- Seal Bay Conservation Park
- Parque da Vida Selvagem da Ilha Kangaroo
- Stokes Bay
- Fazenda de mel de Clifford
- Destilaria de óleo de eucalipto Emu Ridge
- American River