Once an enclave of the Mexico City elite, San Ángel has retained an upscale but residential feel. Stroll the secluded backstreets and snap photos of the flower-covered buildings, marvel over religious artwork at the Museum of El Carmen, and admire the tiled fountain at the Casa del Risco Museum. With so much to explore, joining a walking tour is a convenient way to learn more about the neighborhood than you could alone. Plus, many include food tastings and stops at attractions you might otherwise overlook.
Things to Know Before You Go
San Ángel is a must-visit for art and culture lovers in Mexico City.
Like much of Mexico City, many San Ángel attractions are closed on Mondays.
San Ángel doesn’t follow the grid street layout typical of Mexico City so navigation may be slightly trickier.
San Ángel is not fully wheelchair accessible, due to cobbled streets and uneven sidewalks.
How to Get There
San Ángel is situated in the southwest of Mexico City, 2.5 miles (4 kilometers) from the center of Coyoacán and 9.3 miles (15 kilometers) from the historic center proper. Most visitors find it easiest to arrive by private vehicle, although there are also good public transit connections. The closest Metrobús station is Bombilla.
When to Get There
The center of San Ángel comes alive at the weekend, when visitors descend to browse the stalls at the Bazar Sábado (Saturday Bazaar) arts and crafts market. Visit midweek if you’d rather see a quieter side to residential San Ángel but remember many museums close on Mondays.
Handicrafts in San Ángel
There are few better places for souvenir shopping in Mexico City than San Ángel. Stop by the Saturday Bazaar and browse for silver from Taxco, huichol artworks, and elaborate ceramics—among other products—all of which are made by local designers and artisans. Beyond Bazar Sábado, there are often paintings and textiles for sale streetside.
- O que fazer em México Central
- O que fazer em Taxco
- O que fazer em Acapulco
- O que fazer em Puerto Escondido
- O que fazer em Porto Vallarta
- O que fazer em Monterrei
- O que fazer em Ilha do Padre do Sul
- O que fazer em San Pedro La Laguna
- O que fazer em Panajachel
- O que fazer em Guerrero
- O que fazer em Oaxaca
- O que fazer em Jalisco
- O que fazer em Western Highlands
- Bazar Sábado (Mercado Sábado)
- Museu de El Carmen (Museo de El Carmen)
- Diego Rivera e Frida Kahlo Estúdio-Museu
- Universidade Nacional Autônoma do México (UNAM)
- Igreja de San Juan Bautista (Parroquia San Juan Bautista)
- Museu Frida Kahlo (Museo Frida Kahlo)
- Museu Leon Trotsky (Museo Leon Trotsky)
- Plaza Garibaldi
- KidZania Cuicuilco
- Museu Anahuacalli (Museo Anahuacalli)
- Six Flags Mexico
- Restaurante Giratório Bellini (Bellini Restaurante Giratorio)
- Estádio Azteca (Estadio Azteca)
- Museu Infantil Papalote (Papalote Museo del Niño)