Full- and half-day tours typically depart from major cities, such as Zurich or Lindau. Whether you’re interested in learning more about traditional Swiss customs or curious about the region’s rich agricultural industry, you have options. As the region is well known for its Appenzeller cheese, some tours combine a village walking tour with a visit to local dairies, while others travel into neighboring Liechtenstein or Austria for a wider perspective of central Europe.
Things to know before you go
- Not all of Appenzell is easily accessible for wheelchair users; check access arrangements with your tour operator ahead of time.
- Summertime visitors should still pack a layer or two, as the pre-Alpine village gets chilly.
- The wider canton boasts several hiking and cycling routes, ideal for active travelers.
How to get there
Appenzell is around a 90-minute drive from Zurich. The journey by train takes just under two hours and passengers must change at St. Gallen or Gossau. The town center is a 3-minute walk north of the village station.
When to get there
Traditional customs are still central to daily life in Appenzell, and few more so than the annual cattle processions. At the beginning of spring, locals line the streets to celebrate as local farmers; dressed in traditional-style outfits, they shepherd their cattle up in the Alpine pastures. At the end of summer, they make the ceremonial return journey to the sound of communal singing and cowbells.
Located in the village’s centuries-old town hall, the Appenzell Museum provides a glimpse into the cultural heritage of rural Switzerland. Its exhibits include costumes, embroidery, and folk art, revealing much about the beliefs and customs of the people of Appenzell. Swiss Travel Pass holders get in for free.
- O que fazer em Lucerna
- O que fazer em Basel
- O que fazer em Davos
- O que fazer em Estrasburgo
- O que fazer em Montreux
- O que fazer em Lado de Como
- O que fazer em Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- O que fazer em Ferno
- O que fazer em Innsbruck
- O que fazer em Milão
- O que fazer em Genebra
- O que fazer em Munique
- O que fazer em Suiça Central
- O que fazer em Alpes suíços
- O que fazer em Alsace
- Lago Walen (Walensee)
- Stein am Rhein
- Zoo Zurich
- Loja de chocolates Lindt & Sprüngli
- Jardim Botânico (Universidade de Zurique)
- Jardim Chinês de Zurique (Chinagarten)
- Kunsthaus Zurich
- Ópera de Zurique (Opernhaus Zürich)
- Lago de Zurique (Zurique)
- Igreja Grossmünster
- Igreja Fraumünster
- Igreja de São Pedro (Kirche São Pedro)