The whimsical painted exterior of the Children’s Museum hides a surprising history. The building was formerly a penitentiary with a brutal reputation. After the prison closed, it lay empty until the former first lady of Costa Rica, Gloria Bejarano de Calderon, had the idea of creating an informative space for children. The museum is dedicated to the idea of learning through playing and exploring, and welcomes many thousands of visitors each year.
Visit the Children’s Museum on its own with a skip-the-line ticket or as part of a sightseeing tour of San Jose.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Entry to the museum is via paid ticket.
- The museum hosts special exhibitions along with the permanent collection.
- There is a cafeteria on-site.
- Children can see live animals in the farm exhibit.
How to Get There
The Children’s Museum is located at Avenida 9, Calle 4, just north of downtown in San Jose, Costa Rica’s capital city. It is reachable by taxi—walking to the museum is not recommended.
When to Get There
The museum is open Tuesday to Friday, 8am–4:30pm, and Saturday and Sunday, from 9:30am–5pm. The museum is closed Mondays. Last entry is one hour before closing time.
Get Some Fresh Air in Sabana Park With 175 acres (71 hectares) of forest green space crossed with walking trails, Sabana Park is the perfect antidote to a day of city sightseeing in San Jose. Open grassy areas invite soccer games and picnic parties, while the outdoor swimming pool is a great place to cool off from the hot Costa Rican sun.
- O que fazer em Vale Central
- O que fazer em Quepos
- O que fazer em Jacó
- O que fazer em Puntarenas
- O que fazer em La Fortuna de San Carlos
- O que fazer em Monteverde
- O que fazer em Limon
- O que fazer em Sámara
- O que fazer em Cidade do Panamá
- O que fazer em Ilhas San Blas
- O que fazer em San Salvador
- O que fazer em Roatán
- O que fazer em Cidade do Guatemala
- O que fazer em Costa do Pacífico
- O que fazer em Costa Caribenha
- Mercado Central de San Jose (Mercado Central)
- Museu de Jade (Museo del Jade)
- Edifício Metálico (Ed) ificio Metálico)
- Plaza de la Cultura
- Casa Amarela (Casa Amarilla)
- Museu do Ouro
- Teatro Nacional (Teatro Nacional)
- Museu Nacional (Museo Nacional)
- Parque Morazan
- Parque Nacional Braulio Carrillo
- Museu de Arte da Costa Rica (Museo de Arte Costarricense)
- Parque La Sabana
- Rescate Animal Zooave
- Vale do Rio Orosi (El Valle del Rio Orosi)