Sarapiqui is a large area covering several reserves and national parks, including Braulio Carrillo National Park and the Sarapiqui Protected Zone, in the province of Heredia, where Costa Rica meets Nicaraguan at the border. It’s a popular place for adventure tours, including white-water rafting and ziplining, with most excursions departing from the town of Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui or San Jose, Costa Rica’s capital.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Adventure tours are best suited for active types.
- Activities in the area are not suitable for very young children.
- For rafting trips, wear secure footwear and swimsuit under your clothes—you will get wet.
- Keep an eye out for macaws, monkeys, iguanas, and sloths when you’re there.
How to Get There
The Sarapiqui Canopy is located in northern Costa Rica in Heredia Province. It’s accessible as part of a day trip from San Jose, or by staying in the region itself. Tours leaving from Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui do not provide transport.
When to Get There
High season in Costa Rica is the winter months, December to April, when the weather is usually warm and dry. Rain is more likely from May onward when rural areas can get very muddy.
Visit San Jose’s Children’s Museum If you’re planning a vacation with your kids in Costa Rica, a visit to the Children’s Museum in San Jose is a must. With 40 rooms dedicated to children’s learning through interactive exhibits, there’s plenty to entertain kids for a couple of hours. Even adults will be impressed with the wide range of information on display, covering topics from space travel to the human body, and there’s even a small farm area.
- O que fazer em Vale Central
- O que fazer em Quepos
- O que fazer em Jacó
- O que fazer em Puntarenas
- O que fazer em La Fortuna de San Carlos
- O que fazer em Monteverde
- O que fazer em Limon
- O que fazer em Sámara
- O que fazer em Cidade do Panamá
- O que fazer em Ilhas San Blas
- O que fazer em San Salvador
- O que fazer em Roatán
- O que fazer em Cidade do Guatemala
- O que fazer em Costa do Pacífico
- O que fazer em Costa Caribenha
- Parque Nacional do Vulcão Poas
- Vale do Rio Orosi (El Valle del Rio Orosi)
- Rescate Animal Zooave
- Museu da Criança (Museo de los Ninos)
- Museu de Jade (Museo del Jade)
- Casa Amarela (Casa Amarilla)
- Edifício Metálico (Ed) ificio Metálico)
- Mercado Central de San Jose (Mercado Central)
- Museu do Ouro
- Plaza de la Cultura
- Museu Nacional (Museo Nacional)
- Teatro Nacional (Teatro Nacional)
- Parque La Sabana
- Museu de Arte da Costa Rica (Museo de Arte Costarricense)