About 120 miles (190 km) east of Las Vegas, Grand Canyon West is a popular day trip destination with many available tours. But by opting for a self-drive tour, you can experience the natural wonder at your own pace. Here's what you should know.
- A self-drive tour provides you with a vehicle and directions so you can drive yourself from Las Vegas to and from the Grand Canyon instead of going on a guided tour.
- Enjoy the ability to travel with only your party and make your own stops, perhaps at the Hoover Dam or in Arizona's Joshua tree forest.
- Optional add-ons may include entrance to the Grand Canyon Skywalk, a helicopter flight to the base of the canyon, or a boat ride on the Colorado River.
- Choose to stay overnight at Hualapai Ranch if you wish to extend your adventure.
- The Grand Canyon West Rim is the closest part of the canyon to Las Vegas, making it reachable on a day trip; this is not part of Grand Canyon National Park, however, which encompasses the South Rim and North Rim and is a much longer drive from Las Vegas.