Named for the English King Edward VII, who visited Lisbon to celebrate the Anglo-Portuguese Alliance in 1903, the largest urban oasis in Lisbon is laid out in a former quarry and adorned with formal box hedges, statuary and ornamental ponds. Parque Eduardo VII stretches 26 hectares uphill between the ornate splendor of Praca do Marquês de Pombal (Marquês de Pombal Square) and a rather brutal monument celebrating the 25th April Revolution in 1974 and designed by João Cutileiro.
Adjacent to the monument is a viewpoint with fine views back across the city, the River Tagus and the hills beyond. An ornately tiled, Baroque-style pavilion smothered in blue-and-white azulejo tiles sits on the western side of the park; opposite are hothouses stuffed with tropical palms, ferns, cacti and rare orchids.
The southeastern end of the park is punctuated by a magnificent monument to the Marquês de Pombal, the prime minister who rebuilt Lisbon after the devastating 1755 earthquake destroyed much of the city. The Praca do Marquês de Pombal leads onto the equally imposing boulevard of Avenida da Liberdade, shaded by trees and lined with monuments, high-end boutiques and hotels.