A wildlife haven just down the coast from Melbourne, Phillip Island is an idyllic retreat for those looking to get away from the city for a day. To savor the scenery and peek at the penguins, here are your options for day trips from Melbourne.
Phillip Island Wildlife Tours from Melbourne
Phillip Island is renowned for its wildlife, and its animal inhabitants are sure to be the focal point of your visit. Opt for a full-day tour and visit attractions such as the Maru Koala and Wildlife Park, the Moonlit Sanctuary Conservation Park, the Churchill Island Heritage Farm, and Seal Rocks, home to Australia's largest fur seal colony.
Phillip Island Penguin Parade Tours from Melbourne
If you only have time for one Phillip Island attraction, make it the Penguin Parade—an opportunity to watch the island's population of little penguins as they come ashore around sunset. Choose an evening Penguin Parade tour with or without access to the viewing platform, where you'll be afforded the best views, or opt for a great-value super saver deal to combine the experience with a Melbourne city sightseeing tour.
Things to Know
- Phillip Island is located about 87 miles (140 km) south of Melbourne, off the southeastern shore of the Mornington Peninsula.
- The island can be in about two hours by road from Melbourne.
- Day tours from Melbourne generally run between 6 and 12 hours.
- Be sure to bring your camera, comfortable walking shoes, and warm clothing if you’re staying for the evening Penguin Parade—it can get chilly along the seafront at night.
- Most tours provide hotel pickup and entrance fees.