ht on Perth’s doorstep, Swan Valley offers an idyllic retreat from city life. Renowned as one of Western Australia’s oldest wine regions, its expanse of vineyards and scenic waterways are home to numerous wineries, breweries, and distilleries, and an excellent selection of artisan shops and gourmet restaurants.
Locals flock to Swan Valley on sunny weekends. It’s the ideal backdrop for wine tasting at award-winning wineries, sipping beer at a boutique brewery, or enjoying a leisurely lunch at a vineyard restaurant.
Set sail on a wine tasting cruise along Swan River, take a walking tour of historic Guildford, or join a tasting tour and get the inside scoop on the region’s best artisan products, from cheese, nuts, and honey to handmade chocolate, ice cream, and macarons.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The legal drinking age of 18 applies for all Swan Valley wine tastings.
- Most Swan Valley wineries don’t have a dress code, but smart-casual dress is required at the region’s more upmarket restaurants.
- Phone and internet coverage vary throughout Swan Valley, but the Swan Valley Visitor Centre in Guildford offers free Wi-Fi.
- Sunscreen, plenty of water, and comfortable shoes are a must if you plan on walking through the vineyards.
- Many Swan Valley wineries are wheelchair accessible, although tours of the vineyards are not always possible, and it’s best to check in advance to avoid disappointment.
How to Get There
Swan Valley lies along Swan River, around 16 miles (26 kilometers) northeast of Perth. Trains run from Perth to Guildford, but the most convenient way to travel is with your own transport or a guided tour.
When to Get There
The best time for Swan Valley wine tours is from September to December, when the warm weather is ideal for walking, cycling, or wine tasting amid the vineyards. It’s possible to visit the Swan Valley wineries year-round—in the summer months (December to February), it’s recommended to book ahead for tastings as it can get crowded, while the winter months (June to August) often mean cheaper prices on accommodation and activities.
Swan Valley Wine Tasting
Wine lovers are spoiled for choice with Swan Valley’s more than a hundred family vineyards, wineries, and cellar doors. The best-known wineries include Sandalford, Upper Reach, and Olive Farm. Must-try varieties include Verdelho, chenin blanc, and shiraz wines, and Verdelho and shiraz liqueurs. Head to Coward & Black for wines paired with Margaret River chocolates; Mandoon Estate’s restaurant, brewery, and art gallery; or Harris Organic Wines, Perth’s only certified organic winery.