With the Icelandic peoples’ penchant for partying and Reykjavik’s world-class nightlife, you’re guaranteed a good night out in Iceland’s capital. December 31 is no exception as the city hosts a party like no other, with fireworks and fun lasting until the wee hours. Here are a couple of ways to celebrate New Year’s Eve in Reykjavik.
- Usher in the New Year in style, sipping Champagne and watching the fireworks display going off from Hallgrimskirkja church, while cruising around Faxafloi Bay.
- Skip the fireworks in favor of Mother Nature’s own majestic nighttime light show on a Northern Lights viewing tour.
- Enjoy a celebratory dinner in a restaurant with views over Reykjavik, before ringing in the New Year from a panoramic balcony overlooking the city.
- Travel around central Reykjavik seeing the various neighborhood bonfires, which are built and lit by locals as part of their traditional New Year’s Eve festivities.
- Start the New Year by ticking a once-in-a-lifetime adventure off your bucket list, whether it’s a glacier hike, a Golden Circle tour, a dip in the Blue Lagoon, an ice-climbing expedition, or descending into an ice cave.
- Party your way into the New Year at one of the many venues located along the shop and bar-lined strip of Laugavegur.