Summertime and vacation are synonymous with San Diego, where 70 miles (110 kilometers) of glimmering Southern California shoreline offer some of the surfing, swimming, and sunbathing in the country. Off the beach, meanwhile, there are plenty of parks and historical attractions. Here are our top ideas for how to enjoy summer in San Diego.
- Stroll through Balboa Park, where you’ll find museums, gardens, carousel, and many family-friendly attractions.
- See animals of all stripes at the San Diego Zoo, home to a trio of giant pandas, or SeaWorld, part of Mission Bay.
- Get out on the water with a harbor cruise, a sailboat ride, a speedboat adventure, a whale-watching tour, or a kayaking tour around the sea caves and cliffs of La Jolla.
- Take a tour of the USS Midway Museum, an aircraft carrier that’s docked on the downtown San Diego waterfront.
- Hit the beach. There’s something for everyone from Coronado Beach up to Ocean Beach, including Mission Beach, Pacific Beach, and the La Jolla Tide Pools.
- Play a round of golf at Torrey Pines Golf Course, located next to Torrey Pines State Reserve between La Jolla and Del Mar.
- Catch a San Diego Padres baseball game at Petco Park.