Call (888) 651-9785
The trip was well organized, very scenic, and informative.
I think you have to be a history and environmental lover to enjoy this trip as there is a lot of focus on the history and environmental work being done in Sri Lanka.
Just one warning - the visit to the Dutch Fort at Galle is self-guided, so make sure that you come prepared with fort information or visit the museum to get a map and orientation. Make sure you walk around the full circumference of the walled fort. Also a lot of walking required, so bring good shoes, hat, and sunblock.
I learned a lot and saw things I never thought I would see including water monitors, blue kingfishers, cormorants, fishing boats, floating coconut stores, cinnamon preparation and a floating session through a mangrove swamp - fascinating.
Great tour. Absolutely love Galle and all the stops along the way. The turtles are adorable but beware of one of the guides there because he is a bit handsy. They should actually go to a different turtle place because that particular man was rude and inappropriate. Its unfortunate because everyone else in the entire country was relatively kind and welcoming so this was a negative start to our visit. The tour guide/driver was polite and friendly. He stopped at some nice places. The river cruise was an additional 80USD but it was spectacular and one of the best experiences we had in Sri Lanka. The mask museum was educational and quiet. The museum store also had reasonable prices for all sculptures, masks etc and I would recommend purchasing from there as opposed to any of the places in Kandy. The restaurant we stopped at for lunch was extremely expensive but I think worth it in this case. We had trouble deciding what to order and our waiter went to the side of the sea, received a fresh catch and brought it to us on a plate as an option and we loved it. All in all a great day! I wish we spent 3 of them there!
Loved this tour! Our tour guide, Damitha, was wonderful!! We spent time walking around the fort and got to see all the sights there. Then we went to our river tour and lunch. The lunch was simple and wonderful. The river tour was great. Got to see many different islands and go onto them. Different ones were known for growing cinnamon and another had a Buddhist monastery where we received a blessing from a monk. After the river tour, we went to the turtle sanctuary. It was amazing!!!! We just happened to show up at the perfect time and two different nests hatched. What an amazing experience!!! After being able to release some turtles to the ocean, we headed back to our hotel. Overall a wonderful day!!
Delwyn N Australia
Our guide for the day was Saneth...he was informative, compassionate and interesting.
I highly recommend this tour as it's also very hard to cover so much ground in a day.
Great!! Our guide didn't really speak English so we didn't learn anything about the Dutch Fort. Maybe a printed handout would be helpful. Our guide stopped at a silk factory and moonstone mine as well. The boat ride in the Mangroves was fantastic!! We also really loved the turtle hatchery! Highly recomm nod this tour.
Good trip very interesting and really just a great day out saw the turtle sanctuary the mask museum was brilliant The Galle fort was a bit of a disappointment but not total rubbish worth the trip
Erickson M Philippines
Certainly worth doing when you're in Colombo. Here's why i only rated it 3 stars:
1. My driver was very professional, polite, and knowledgeable. He was also a very calm driver despite the craziness of the other drivers around him.
2. The Old Dutch Fort reminded me of Manila's Intramuros, although the former was much well preserved. Nice to see how they lived back in the day.
3. My favorite was the visit to the sea turtle hatchery. They're doing a great thing there.
4. the river cruise was 'ok.' We didnt see much wildlife although the visit to the small buddhist temple was fun.
5. Sri Lankan's are very friendly. At least every one i met on this trip.
1. We felt pressured to buy something or give a donation, and this was in every single place we went to, including the Moonstone mines not part of the itinerary but we were brought there, which was a good thing, but once you're there, you're pressured or coerced to buy something. So when you go on this trip, make sure you budget for these incidentals.
2. Lunch - the lunch was part of what you paid for. They just started cooking when we got to the restaurant we we waited for an hour for our food. And this was around 130pm already, and we were already very hungry, so we ended up eating around 230pm.
Overall, i dont regret going on this trip. In fact, I'm very glad i did. I just wont push it to my friends though.
Note from Viator: Thank you for your detailed review, we appreciate your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed many part of the tour, especially the sea turtle hatchery, and apologize for any inconvenience at lunch. We have reached out to our local supplier to convey your message about the pressure and excessive solicitation.
again very poorly organised. Not much to do and see and nothing worthwhile. Over all we were forcefully convinced to spend time and money on useless herbal medicine.
Some content licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.
© 1997–Tue Feb 20 20:00:07 PST 2018 Viator, Inc. MAR015 - 330208 All rights reserved. Viator is a registered trademark of Viator, Inc.
is a Service Mark of Viator, Inc. Travel with an Insider is a Service Mark of Viator, Inc.
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of Viator's Terms & Conditions.