Don’t worry—here are some similar options
- Taieri Gorge Railway tour and city sightseeing combo shore excursion
- Journey through magnificent scenery on a train trip along the Taieri River Gorge
- See Otago University, the Botanic Garden, stately homes and other historic buildings, Baldwin Street (the worlds steepest street) St Clair beach & Esplanade, Otago Peninsula & Harbour views.
- Covered by Viator’s worry-free policy: guaranteed on-time return to your ship
Departure & Return
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
New Zealand’s longest tourist railway, the Taieri Gorge Railway covers a distance of 28 miles (45 km), following the course of the Taieri River. As the train hugs the steep-walled Taieri Gorge and crosses wrought-iron viaducts of a bygone era, soak up the panoramic views. You’ll pass through nearly one dozen tunnels and stop several times for photo ops of the magnificent landscape.
Have a lunch break in Dunedin (own expense) before your 2-hour city sightseeing tour in the afternoon. Take a seat aboard the coach and learn about Dunedin’s history as you hear insightful commentary about the hilly city and its volcanic bay from the knowledgeable guide.
Discover New Zealand’s first university — Otago University — as well as 19th-century buildings including ornate homes, churches, theaters, banks and the town hall. Enjoy views of the Otago Peninsula, drive along Baldwin Street, admire the tree-lined landscape at the Dunedin Botanical Gardens and see St Clair Beach and Esplanade before drop-off at the Dunedin port.
Worry-free Shore Excursion:We will ensure your excursion ends with ample time for you to return to the Dunedin port for your ship’s departure. In the extremely unlikely event your ship has departed, we will arrange for transportation to the next port-of-call. If your ship is delayed and you are unable to attend this activity, your money will be refunded. See our terms and conditions for full details.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Should your cruise ship timetable be indicating that you will be berthing in Dunedin (Port Chalmers) at 9.00am or later, this does not preclude you from booking these tour options. The timetable will simply be altered to align with the cruise ships arrival time
- If for any reason we are unable to get you to the Dunedin Railway Station prior to the departure of the Taieri Gorge Train then the tour will be adjusted whereby you will travel by coach by road to meet the train and return to Dunedin by train
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- Collapsible wheelchairs with removable wheels can be accommodated providing the passenger is accompanied by someone who can assist them board and disembark
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 50 travelers
- OPERATED BY Leisure Tours
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
See all safety measures taken by Dunedin Shore Excursion: Taieri Gorge Railway and City Sightseeing Guided Tour.