Are you interested in?
Explore our promoted experiences
- Afternoon and nighttime tour from Fairbanks to the Arctic Circle
- Travel the remote Dalton Highway, seen in Ice Road Truckers
- Hotel pickup and drop-off, food, and warm drinks included
- Small-group tour limited to 8 people provides a more personalized experience
Departure & Return
Hmm...we can’t seem to find this place. Please check the spelling, or choose another location.
What To Expect
Dalton Highway runs north-south through Alaska, almost to the Arctic Ocean, and parallels the Trans-Alaska Pipeline. Stop along a section of the pipeline in the community of Fox, and get a good look at its construction while learning about its controversies and environmental impact. One of the world’s largest pipeline systems, the Trans-Alaska Pipeline was built in the 1970s to carry crude oil from Prudhoe Bay 800 miles (1,287 km) south to Valdez.
Back on the Dalton Highway, drive over the EL Patton Bridge, the only bridge in Alaska that crosses the Yukon River. With an impressive length of 2,295 feet (700 meters), the bridge carries not only vehicle traffic but also the pipeline. Take a picture of the bridge and then stop again further down the road to admire Finger Mountain that offers views of the alpine tundra. When you arrive at the edge of the Arctic Circle, pose for commemorative photos around the sign displaying your latitude of 66°33’ north. Absorb the natural beauty around you and enjoy the provided sandwiches, coffee and homemade hot punch.
Then, climb back aboard your vehicle to begin the drive back to Fairbanks. At this time, it'll be about two to three hours before midnight, an ideal period to start watching for the northern lights. If they do appear, your driver will pull over at several different spots, including the Tolovana River and Wickersham Dome, to give you ample time to marvel at and take photos of this natural phenomenon.
Your Fairbanks northern lights tour concludes with hotel drop-off in the early morning hours.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Adult pricing applies to all travelers. We cannot accept bookings with small children due to possible hazardous weather conditions on the haul road.
- Please dress appropriately. The temperatures can reach extreme conditions during the winter month and we recommend to dress in layers.
- Please note that the Northern Lights are a natural occurrence and therefore cannot be guaranteed! (no refund possible)
- The weather conditions are in no way predictable in our area and we will not offer a refund in case of too many clouds.
- Exact schedule and itinerary of stops are subject to change based on daily conditions and Northern Lights activity on the day of your tour.
- There is a possibility of cancellation due to dangerous weather and/or road conditions. If this occurs, an alternative date or full refund will be offered.
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required. We are not able to provide gluten free or vegan options.
- Type of transportation: climate controlled van
- The group size is limited to 9 people for each passenger van. Bigger group bookings are possible and multiple vans will be used in this case.
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- It is mandatory for every customer to rotate seats at least a few times on this tour.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour requires being able to enter and exit our van with limited assistance. Please contact us if you have any concerns about mobility.
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY Alaska Wildlife Guide LLC
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
Reviews by Viator travelers. We perform checks on reviews