Are you interested in?
- 2.5-hour Hobart cruise on the River Derwent and into Storm Bay
- Learn about Hobart's maritime history from a knowledgeable guide
- Cruise past Iron Pot, one of Australia's oldest lighthouses
- Snap photos of Hobart and towering Mt Wellington from the water
- Travel along the final leg of the famous Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race
- Look for the white-bellied sea eagle and other seabirds as you circumnavigate Betsey Island
- Small-group tour limited to 12 ensures a more personalized experience
Departure & Return
Meet at our booking office, Dock Head Building, Franklin Wharf, Hobart (near lifting bridge).
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
When you reach the mouth of the Derwent, take a look at Iron Pot Lighthouse, which stands on a small rock island, guarding the entrance to Storm Bay. Constructed in 1832 after several shipwrecks on these waters, the lighthouse is one of Australia’s most historic. Listen to tales from your guide about Hobart’s early settlers, including lighthouse keepers and their families, and hear about the annual Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race, in which the lighthouse is the final turn.
Then head into Storm Bay toward uninhabited Betsey Island, where white-bellied sea eagles and other marine birds live, and enjoy a view of Hope Beach, a secluded stretch of coastline whose offshore winds and large breaks make it a popular surf spot. As you move closer, you’ll feel the swelling surge of the ocean before turning around to cruise back to Hobart, watching for marine life along the shore.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- A maximum of 12 people per tour
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- OPERATED BY Pennicott Wilderness Journeys
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms