Don’t worry—here are some similar options
- Electric–assist bicycle tour along the ancient Appian Way in Rome
- Cycle into the Roman countryside—suitable for those with a moderate fitness level
- Visit the 2nd-century San Callixtus catacombs and learn of Roman burial traditions (longer tour)
- Small-group tour limited to 10 people ensures personal attention from the guide
Why Travelers Choose This Tour
Departure & Return
From Metro COLOSSEUM (10 to 15 minutes) At the main exit go left, along with the sidewalk (keep the Colosseum on your right). It is easier to take the right sidewalk of the street (Piazza del Colosseo) and so you pass by the Colosseum. At the traffic light go straight on. You are now walking into Via Labicana. Continue walking straight for about 5 minutes different and you will find us at your right on number 49. From Metro MANZONI (about 10 minutes) From Metro Manzoni, you will walk into Viale Manzoni towards the center (Via Merulana). At the crossing with via Merulana you go straight on which is already Via Labicana. It is easiest to take the left sidewalk of Labicana street, since you will find us at your left at number 49.
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
When you arrive at the start of the ancient road, you can relax and enjoy the scenery while riding on your electric-assist bike—allowing you to cover a lot of ground with minimal effort while you enjoy the fresh air of the Roman countryside. (Non-electric, carbon mountain bikes are available upon request.)
Follow your guide past ancient sites like the Thermal Baths of Caracalla, the Aurelian Walls, and the Park of the Aqueducts.
Admire rural Italy, and hear stories from your guide about the centuries-old ruins. During the longer tour option, enjoy a guided tour of the catacombs and learn about ancient Roman burial traditions as you delve inside the subterranean tunnels. You also enjoy a light lunch or aperitif (depending on the time of day you've selected) under an ancient aqueduct.
Your tour concludes when you return to central Rome.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Please note that the route of this tour includes some riding in the city (to reach the Ancient Appian Way Park, to connect it to the Aqueducts Park, and to return from it to the starting point).
- On Wednesdays, the route includes a deviation, so the tour will be half an hour longer in 2020 (6,5 hours).
- Infants aged 1-4 years travelling on a child seat (with load capacity of up to 55 lbs or 25 kg) come on the tour free of charge
- For children aged 5-8 years a child extension (child streamliner) is provided
- Children aged 9 and above can autonomously ride on an appropriately sized bike (e-bikes also available)
- We require all customers to wear a helmet (provided for free)
- You will cover an area of approximately 17 miles (27km), 70% of which takes place off-road. The difficulty level of this tour is intermediate.
- Are the tours safe? The answer is: Absolutely! The tours follow carefully planned routes which have limited access to traffic, and some have no traffic at all, meaning you are able to enjoy your ride around the city in total relaxation and safety and you won't have to worry about traffic
- Minimum of 3 participants applies (total number of participants on tour). There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is only 1 or 2 passengers on the tour. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative for your tour or full refund.
- On Easter Sunday (April 17, 2022), the Catacombs are closed (therefore, the 6-hour tour will NOT include a visit of the Catacombs); on the other hand, the light lunch/aperitif (according to the option chosen) on this day will include an extra course.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- OPERATED BY TopBike Rental and Tours
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience