Don’t worry—here are some similar options
- 1-hour Mt Tarawera helicopter tour and Hells Gate guided walk, from Rotorua
- Enjoy spectacular aerial views of Mt. Tarawera's volcanic rift zone
- See thermal activity up close on a 30-minute guided walk around Hells Gate, Rotorua’s hottest thermal reserve
- Learn about the geology, history, and Maori legends of the area from your expert pilot-guide
- Get great photos of Rotorua and Mokoia Island from the air
- Hotel pickup and drop-off from Rotorua hotels included
Departure & Return
Departure PointRotorua hotels
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Soar over Lake Tarawera before circling the vast volcanic crater system of Mt Tarawera, created by the cataclysmic 1886 eruption, which destroyed the Pink and White Terraces. You’ll appreciate one-of-a-kind aerial views from your vantage point in the sky as the pilot points out distinctive geological features of the lunar-like landscape, including caldera lakes and volcanic domes.
Descend into Hells Gate — known as Tikitere to the the Maori people — a geothermal reserve whose English name was coined after playwright George Bernard Shaw noted that the bubbling pools must surely be the gateway to hell.
Upon landing, embark on a 30-minute guided walk around Rotorua’s hottest thermal park. Stroll at a leisurely pace to hot lakes, ancient cooking pools and a mud volcano whose mineral-rich clay the Maori traditionally harvested for its healing powers.
Then board the helicopter for your return flight, zooming over Mokoia Island before landing at Lake Rotorua where your return vehicle whisks you back to your hotel.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Due to comfort and balance of the aircraft, the maximum per seat limit is 297 lbs (135 kg) per passenger
- Minimum age is 1 year
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes and clothing
- OPERATED BY Volcanic Air Ltd
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
See all safety measures taken by Mt Tarawera Helicopter Tour with Guided Walking Tour of Hells Gate Geothermal Reserve.