Meet your guide in Mirabellplatz in central Salzburg and hop aboard your coach. Take off through the city, with the film’s soundtrack playing to set the mood. Sing along with the lyrics to ‘Edelweiss,’ ‘Do-Re-Mi’ and ‘My Favorite Things’ as you pass famous locations featured in the film. (See the Itinerary section for a complete list of locations.) Marvel at the city’s architecture and see the Lake District, one of the most impressive regions in the heart of Austria.
Continue to the charming town of Mondsee, where you will have free time to explore the setting of the film’s wedding at the Mondsee Cathedral. Wander the streets at your leisure, stopping for a delicious slice of crisp apple strudel or perusing the local shops.
Your tour will conclude with drop-off at your original departure point in central Salzburg.
The Sound of Music Film Locations in Salzburg:
- Mirabell Gardens - The Mirabell Gardens were laid out in the 18th century. Maria and the children were seen dancing around the statue of Pegasus, the winged horse, and throughout the gardens singing 'Do-Re-Mi.'
- Leopoldskron Castle - The front side of the castle was used as the Trapp family home, the children were boating on the Leopoldskron Lake and fell into the water. The Venetian room was copied from the castle and used as the ballroom.
- Hellbrunn Castle - This hunting castle was built in the early 17th century by Prince-Archbishop Markus Sittikus. In the gardens the glass pavillion was reconstructed for the pleasure of those fans still returning after 30 years.
- Nonnberg Abbey - Nonnberg Abbey is the oldest convent in the German speaking part of Europe. Maria was a novice there. The baron and Maria were married here in 1927. The scenes for the movie made here include the opening with the nuns going to Mass and Maria coming too late.
- St Gilgen and Lake Wolfgang - Scenery shown at the beginning of the movie was filmed at Lake Fuschl on the way to St Gilgen. Like the Mozart family, visitors from all over the world appreciate the beautiful village in the Salzkammergut.
- Wedding Church Mondsee - Mondsee Cathedral was used as the location for Maria and the Baron's wedding in the film.
Please note: The coach will visit all film locations listed above. You will get off the bus at Leopoldskron Castle, Hellbrunn Castle, St Gilgen and Lake Wolfgang and Mondsee.